General
5 Things You Should Tell Your Doctor, No Matter How Embarrassing

5 Things You Should Tell Your Doctor, No Matter How Embarrassing

Shared by:

Stinky smells. Unbearable itching. Foreign objects in foreign places. Here are five embarrassing medical problems you should never hide from your doctor.

www.lifehack.org

9 Nov 2016 - General

Maria Cristina Inserto Unfortunately, the Filipino culture produced shy individuals, even in consult. Consults here are quite different too because the patient is accompanied by members of the nuclear and extended family. As one consultant quipped in his lecture during medical school, kasama and buong barangay sa consulta (Patient is accompanied by the whole town during consult). This prevents the patient from sta...
 (Total 114 words)
I really think that if you got yourself into the doctor's office, you might as well go for it and do what you came there for. Some people put off going to the doctor because they do not want go through the embarrassing revelations, so they do anonymous consultations through forums, phone calls, and so forth. Usually on my drive home, I listen to a popular radio station here in the Philippines and at night they guest a few doctors for their segment. People always call and say their problems o...
 (Total 157 words)
Rajinda Asalage It really takes experience to take a good history. One will earn a patient's trust if the patient feels a genuine intention of the doctor to listen to the complaint and not just make a diagnosis. Confidential matters such as illicit substance abuse or sexual history are subjects that we have to extract because the patient will not offer these en passing. Usually, I start with telling that I ha...
 (Total 128 words)
Most of the times the patient tend to hide the history not all the history but some important facts which are crucial to go for a diagnosis if they are missed. Most of the time they hide them to not to be embarrassed and sometimes they do not have a will to take inward management and then they hide details. Most of the time they hesitate to give a full sexual history and some facts in the social history too. Actually sometimes they are the important details in making a diagnosis. So we have to d...
 (Total 102 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta The scenario you mentioned is really common in our country. Usually it turns out they are pregnant! Or its an ectopic pregnancy. This lie is so common that we have to do a urine pregnancy test before we do a CT scan or give a category C medication. I think that people who deliberately put objects in the anorectal region have no choice but to admit it...especially if its stuck. Oh I remember o...
 (Total 149 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Yes, unplanned pregnancy is one of the most common medical concerns that patients hide. It is understandable since it may really lead to complicated and awkward situations. Your story about acknowledging sexual activity is something that occurs a lot too. I remember a story in a government hospital (not my current workplace) when the parents of a 17 year old patient found out she was pregnant....
 (Total 127 words)
Since here in our country, being pregnant at young age is not that acceptable. Just like what i have experienced during my duty days. There's this young teenager , 18 years old and she have this complaint of right lower quadrant pain and it is rated as 8/10. And the doctor ask her plenty of questions and one of which is, "are you sexually active?" in front of her mother. At first she was hesitant to answer our question. But we insisted that her answer is really significant. She ke...
 (Total 153 words)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding this matter, Tahira Nawaz. I agree that the social and personal history of a patient should not be withheld from the knowledge of his attending physician because as we all know, smoking and alcohol intake are some of the popular risk factors of certain cancers and cardiovascular disease in the world today. I would also like to reiterate that sexual history shouldn'...
 (Total 127 words)
It is always advised to the patients that they must not hide anything regarding their ailment from the doctor. An accurate prescription requires a complete and accurate history of disease to make a perfect diagnosis. I have seen the patients who hide their little embarrassing medical condition from the doctor that lead to misdiagnosis and ineffective treatment. Although there are few topics as mentioned in the post that are really very embarrassing to share but for the sake of your health, you m...
 (Total 107 words)
It is a physician's duty to extract a thorough history and conduct a complete physical examination for every patient that he encounters. In the same way, patients should trust their doctors and not withhold important information because every bit in their medical history is vital in their treatment. I hope that by sharing this with you, you are reminded of patient-doctor relationship where we value our patient's confidentiality above all ethical issues. To our physicians in the group, ca...
 (Total 101 words)