General
Who's Really Happier: Young People Or Older People?

Who's Really Happier: Young People Or Older People?

Shared by:

Getting old has some surprising perks.

www.huffingtonpost.com

9 Nov 2016 - General

Dr. Ronald Allan Ponteres , hello! I was one of your junior interns in University of Santo Tomas before. It is great to see a fellow Thomasian in the community too. Thank you for the refreshing take on the topic and I agree that happiness is subjective. Everyone has a different definition of feeling fulfilled. Some define it with having material possessions while others based on the intangibles. In this topic, mo...
 (Total 102 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for contributing to this topic. I am happy that you mentioned the intangibles such as fostering relationships and intimacy. If we ask older people about their biggest regret, most answers would be in some form of wishing that they spent more time with the family. In Erik Erikson's theory of psychosocial development, the last stage is integrity vs. despair. Yes, some old individua...
 (Total 127 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Thank you for sharing your thoughts. In general, older people seem to be happier than younger people. I agree that they have been able to let go of their insecurities and fears as they age. Another factor is they probably are content with their current disposition. Younger people like us find it hard to feel contented because we are in the prime of our working years. This is the time w...
 (Total 139 words)
Older people is maybe happier because they have the advantage of a lot of hindsight. They have learned from experience, that a lot of their fears turned out to be groundless and have also learned to roll with life's punches. I also think that a lot of the pressures such as self consciousness, insecurity, comparing theirselves to others, no longer concern them. They have learned to be happy in their own skin and have learned to value the important things in life, such as meaningful interacti...
 (Total 135 words)
I think a person’s level of maturity is also a factor in determining happiness, as people who are more mature see things in a better perspective. This may probably be one of the reasons why the study was based on age, even if emotional maturity also isn’t directly determined by how old a person is. For me, true happiness comes from peace felt from within, from knowing that whatever happens, it would be for a purpose and that you as a person can withstand any challenges that come your way. Also, ...
 (Total 138 words)
Even if recent studies show that old people are happier individuals, I still believe that happiness doesn't come with age. In fact, Happiness is not dictated by anything may it be race, gender or social status. Nobody can really define what it is or how to acquire it. But what is happiness? For many centuries, people have agonized over this question. I think that happiness is relative. It also differs from one person to another. For me, it is an innate feeling of satisfaction and contentment...
 (Total 97 words)