General
Generic Medicines and Branded Medicines | myVMC

Generic Medicines and Branded Medicines | myVMC

Shared by:

Generic medication and branded medication: A branded drug is the original product that has undergone and passed the rigorous tests and evaluations involved in developing a pharmaceutical product. A generic drug is a copy of the original branded product.

www.myvmc.com

9 Nov 2016 - General

Kannan Subramnaiam Thank you for sharing the situation in Australia. It helps if government subsidizes medical costs because it allows patients to choose what they deem as appropriate. You ...
 (Total 131 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan I really prescribe generics but sometimes the discrepancy in terms of onset of effect is really significant. My experience is not only in antibiotics but also in...
 (Total 168 words)
As Tahira Nawaz has pointed out there is certainly a rise in the dispensing of generic medicines in Australia but the reason is much more complex than simply the cost of medicines. In Austr...
 (Total 277 words)
Marinelle Castro Yes, Ritemed is a subsidiary of Unilab started years ago to provide quality generics to those who cannot afford the more expensive branded medications. Many large companie...
 (Total 146 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan I wasn't aware that Unilab had a subcompany. I agree with Mark Edmon Tan that for antibiotics an...
 (Total 120 words)
Ronald Allan Ponteres You are right on the money with making sure that generic drugs should be at par with the acceptable standard. As what ...
 (Total 146 words)
In a regulatory perspective, it is important for each country's regulatory agency before granting the approval of registration as all generic drugs are required to do bioavailability test (or at least in Malaysia). Hence, the regulatory agency ar...
 (Total 56 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Difference in excipients in different formulations does not effect the activity and efficacy of a product therefore generic and branded medications are considered equally ef...
 (Total 33 words)
We must be enlightened that generic medications are marketed after innovator companies losing the marketing exclusivity and generic companies passing the regulatory requirements from FDA. These requirements include BA/BE studies that determine the si...
 (Total 105 words)
Tahira Nawaz Thank you for your valuable input on the topic as an expert in the field of pharmacy. Does difference in excipients really affect the release or immediate efficacy of drugs? I ...
 (Total 128 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan It is great to see your stand concerning generic medicines as this is your field of expertise. Thank you for enlightening us on how pharmaceutical companies pos...
 (Total 133 words)
Generic and branded medicines are a common topic that has been discussed widely among healthcare professionals. Active ingredients are exactly same for both generic and branded medications but there may be a difference among excipients or inactive in...
 (Total 114 words)
I agree that for vaccines, antibiotics, and other anti-infective drugs, branded medications are still better to take. However, patients may also consider taking a generic version of an antibiotic made by a reputable manufacturer, or by the same manuf...
 (Total 188 words)
I'm glad that someone wrote an article about this. Most of the patients in the Philippines would resort to buying generic medicines due to financial constraints but are these drugs really good enough to alleviate their medical problems? In my own...
 (Total 103 words)