General
Generic Medicines and Branded Medicines | myVMC

Generic Medicines and Branded Medicines | myVMC

Shared by:

Generic medication and branded medication: A branded drug is the original product that has undergone and passed the rigorous tests and evaluations involved in developing a pharmaceutical product. A generic drug is a copy of the original branded product.

www.myvmc.com

9 Nov 2016 - General

Kannan Subramnaiam Thank you for sharing the situation in Australia. It helps if government subsidizes medical costs because it allows patients to choose what they deem as appropriate. You have a very keen observation on how patients take medications, especially for the older individuals. They usually associate medicines with the time of intake (before bedtime for cholesterol-lowering agents, anti-convulsants, et...
 (Total 131 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan I really prescribe generics but sometimes the discrepancy in terms of onset of effect is really significant. My experience is not only in antibiotics but also in antihistamines and paracetamol when I need to take them. In clinical practice, I am experiencing the same dilemma as Marinelle Castro . Just r...
 (Total 168 words)
As Tahira Nawaz has pointed out there is certainly a rise in the dispensing of generic medicines in Australia but the reason is much more complex than simply the cost of medicines. In Australia we have socialized medicine with excellent (compared to others) universal health care coverage where pharmaceuticals are subsidized by Government under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. So a $2000 or a $75 medicine costs...
 (Total 277 words)
Marinelle Castro Yes, Ritemed is a subsidiary of Unilab started years ago to provide quality generics to those who cannot afford the more expensive branded medications. Many large companies are also taking this lead and manufacturing “company-branded generics” that may sometimes even contain the logo of the mother company, which could assure patients that the drug is authentic and of good quality. I’m not sure i...
 (Total 146 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan I wasn't aware that Unilab had a subcompany. I agree with Mark Edmon Tan that for antibiotics and vaccines I also opt to go for branded medications - - because I have experience with them. Just wanted to know if there is a pamphlet or a book wherein bioequivalence studies are published? I think we s...
 (Total 120 words)
Ronald Allan Ponteres You are right on the money with making sure that generic drugs should be at par with the acceptable standard. As what Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan , diligence in finding medications from reputable sub-companies should be encouraged. ...
 (Total 146 words)
We must be enlightened that generic medications are marketed after innovator companies losing the marketing exclusivity and generic companies passing the regulatory requirements from FDA. These requirements include BA/BE studies that determine the similarity of the generic drug from the innovator in terms of the composition most especially the active ingredient. There is a standard acceptable range that is used for comparison. I agree that compliance is one factor to consider but you may want to...
 (Total 105 words)
Tahira Nawaz Thank you for your valuable input on the topic as an expert in the field of pharmacy. Does difference in excipients really affect the release or immediate efficacy of drugs? I am quite surprised that buying branded medications is also an issue in Australia. I thought that issues like this only applies to third world countries. Generic medicines have been really painted as bad in the eyes of the gener...
 (Total 128 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan It is great to see your stand concerning generic medicines as this is your field of expertise. Thank you for enlightening us on how pharmaceutical companies possess sub-companies. All along I though Unilab and RiteMed were different companies. The keyword indeed is buying medications that are produced by a reputable company. Most have to understand that different brands will have so d...
 (Total 133 words)
Generic and branded medicines are a common topic that has been discussed widely among healthcare professionals. Active ingredients are exactly same for both generic and branded medications but there may be a difference among excipients or inactive ingredients. There is a huge cost difference between both generic and branded medications therefore in Australia the use of generic medications is greatly increased. The Doctors and Pharmacists in Australia are highly encouraging the use of generic pro...
 (Total 114 words)
I agree that for vaccines, antibiotics, and other anti-infective drugs, branded medications are still better to take. However, patients may also consider taking a generic version of an antibiotic made by a reputable manufacturer, or by the same manufacturer as that of the branded product. For example, here in the Philippines, the multinational company Unilab manufactures generics under their sub-company Ritemed. As the article also states, medications with narrow therapeutic windows may possibly...
 (Total 188 words)
I'm glad that someone wrote an article about this. Most of the patients in the Philippines would resort to buying generic medicines due to financial constraints but are these drugs really good enough to alleviate their medical problems? In my own practice as a doctor, I would always advise my patients to buy branded medicines when it comes to antibiotics and vaccines. I have observed that even if the FDA claims that both have equally efficacy, Branded medicines must have higher titers than t...
 (Total 103 words)