General
The story of warfarin: From cattle killer to rat poison to humanity’s most cherished drug

The story of warfarin: From cattle killer to rat poison to humanity’s most cherished drug

Shared by:

Every pharmacist knows warfarin and what is it used for. However, not all are aware of its remarkable history of discovery: how warfarin was first used as a rodenticide before its anticoagulant property was discovered and utilised to treat patients.

today.mims.com

10 Nov 2016 - General

I had the chance to run a warfarin clinic in my workplace and till date I don't think any of the other newer medications are more cost effective than warfarin. Yes, true enough that warfarin is with limitations, but same goes to the other newer oral anticoagulants. Due to the nature of warfarin having a narrow therapeutic range, hence INR is always monitored to ensure warfarin is safe enough for patient's use. As long as patients are compliance to their diet and medication, I still think...
 (Total 117 words)
Warfarin is the most common anticoagulant being used on large scale and it has a great history from rodenticide to clinical practices in human. Warfarin has been proved very effective medication as an anticoagulant but it is not without significant side effects. Many other alternatives have also been developed such as dabigatran and apixaban to replace it but it is still widely used and has retained its status in the country. The fantastic history of Warfarin has started 100 years ago from Canad...
 (Total 102 words)