General
Doctors: Will you help in a medical emergency when you are off-duty?

Doctors: Will you help in a medical emergency when you are off-duty?

Shared by:

While doctors are no strangers to treating patients who require urgent medical attention during their work hours, they might also encounter a person in need of medical attention outside of their place of practice or when they are off-duty.

today.mims.com

11 Nov 2016 - General

Doctors are humans. They also have a personal life and they must have a time allocated for their loved ones in their lives. So they must be offered by off days, leaves and other allowances as well. But here this is not a routine type. This is about an emergency case. In the units where the patients are being treated in emergency situations usually there are no moments with no doctors in the unit. At least one doctor is there to look after the patients. But if there is a call for sure I will atte...
 (Total 102 words)
Yes, I am willing to help but with consideration of non-maleficence before beneficence. The former comes before the latter at all times. We must first do no harm to patient or self before thinking of the benefits of providing assistance. If saving one's life means putting another life at risk, then it is definitely a no-go. I think most doctors would be willing to help in the event of an emergency situation. The article has already stated that the Good Samaritan Act covers doctors from being...
 (Total 99 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto 2010 bar-ops huh? My friend was there as well and although she was able to help out others she was quite in shock. Madhubabu kaaja It is not that in the US and UK they are not allowed to help in emergencies if there is no doctor-patient relationship, they are just not obliged to. I believe that is the same cas...
 (Total 164 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Dear Maria, being doctor it is in your pulse to save patient pulse. Your friend just done a good job to save lives. I want to say social help and medical help is different. I am feeling grestful for your friend irrespective of help as she saved life. But in US and UK doctor not allowed to medical emergency until unless doctor has doctor-patient relation. It is ons recession and situation as ...
 (Total 82 words)
I would like to believe that it is automatic for doctors to "save" on impulse, as we all took an oath to be of service. I did tell the story about my bestfriend (a doctor), who immediately came to people's rescue when a "bomb" exploded while she was waiting for her boyfriend to come out of the bar exams. I think it will be many doctor's immediate reaction--because who else will help? Of course if you are prohibited, skill-wise, to really help, it would be best not to ...
 (Total 138 words)
I am a bit disappointed about the name dropping in this article of Dr. Uwagboe. We are not obliged to attend to patients during an emergency. I know how bad that sounds. I personally would attend to emergencies as I have done so already in the past. One example was when I was on an airplane and they paged for a doctor as they had an emergency. I stood up and presented myself to attend to the patient. Though if there is a burning building and someone inside needs medical attention I hope people u...
 (Total 113 words)
Of course I am willing to help someone in case of an emergency, regardless of the office hours. Sure, there is a potential for liability (as always), but it is human nature to help - - especially if you are more knowledgeable than anybody else. For one, we wouldn't know that the situation if beyond our professional expertise if would not be able to check. ALL doctors are competent in performing a proper medical assessment, and this does not require any additional specialty training. If the n...
 (Total 108 words)