General
Is alcohol all bad?: Important historical development of alcohol as medicine

Is alcohol all bad?: Important historical development of alcohol as medicine

Shared by:

The word “alcohol” may carry a somewhat negative vibe in conservative Asian communities, commonly associated with drunkenness, immorality and degeneracy. We cannot dismiss the dangerous effects of alcohol consumption, but at the same time, it is unfair to ignore the benefits of this  potent compound.

today.mims.com

11 Nov 2016 - General

I agree that alcohol, especially red wine and similar types, is alright as long as it is taken in moderation. I think the recommendation is about 1/3 glass red wine a day to protect against certain heart conditions. This would be due to the potent antioxidants like resveratrol present in the wine. Sure, at one point in time, it was used as a sedative and calming agent in the form of whiskey and brandy. Today, the use of alcohol in manufacturing, disinfecting, and various formulation has come a l...
 (Total 108 words)
Anything in excess is bad for our health. There are certain alcoholic drinks that has good benefits for the body. I remember that we just recently discussed how resveratrol, a phenol that is present in red wine, protects the heart. Alcohol has an effect on lipoprotein that favors increased production of high-density lipoproteins. There are also studies that associate wine consumption with longevity, although this needs further evidence. There is also a Dutch study that confirmed a positive corre...
 (Total 113 words)
Alcohol discovery is early dated to the old Egyptian kingdom around 33 centuries before the Christ birth. Since then, it was a cornerstone for treating many diseases but mainly as analgesic to relieve various kinds of pain. Besides the so called spiritual effects that were widely believed and perhaps still till now, the dependency on Alcohol as medicinal component in the world has flourished over the ages till the discovery of new analgesics. It is true indeed that Alcohol is not 100% bad. Even...
 (Total 148 words)