General

Fenugreek and appetite

Created by:

11 Nov 2016 - General

Beyond enhancing flavor, fenugreek has been shown in increase appetite, which results in restorative and nutritive properties. A study published in Pharmacology Biochemistry, and Behavior was designed to investigate the effects of a fenugreek seed extract on feeding behavior. Experiments were performed to determine food consumption and motivation to eat, as well as metabolic-endocrine changes. 
The results showed that chronic oral administration of the fenugreek extract significantly increased food intake and the motivation to eat. The report also indicated, however, that the treatment does not prevent anorexia nor the decreased motivation to eat. 
In cases of anorexia nervosa, the University of Maryland Medical Center recommends taking 250 to 500 milligrams of fenugreek up to three times a day, but it may not be safe for children — so with any medication or natural treatments, check with your doctor first.

The first recorded use of fenugreek is described on an ancient Egyptian papyrus dated as far back as 1500 B.C. and it was found in the ancient Egyptians’ tombs. Fenugreek has a special place in the Arabic and Islamic heritage for its culinary and medicinal uses. The seeds are the most widely used part of fenugreek, which are usually dried and ground. The leaves are often used in cooking as well. In addition to the appetizer effect, fenugreek also helps breastfeeding women who may experience low ...
 (Total 146 words)
Well, to be honest it is the first time I am hearing that this is called Fenugreek. Well I can recognize the seed but in my country it is called uluhal and personally that is an appetite killer for me. I am not a fan of how fenugreek tastes, so I can't imagine taking a handful of fenugreek seeds everyday. But it really is proven to be beneficial as a herbal medicine. It is an ingredient in many traditional Ayurveda preparations and are proven to be very effective in preventing and treatment ...
 (Total 100 words)