Maintaining your vocalsCreated by:
After watching some videos online about some people singing with such a nice voice, it inspied me to know more about taking care of your vocals. So please read through if you like to know more about some ways to do this.
- Drink plenty of water. Six to eight glasses a day is recommended.
- Limit your intake of drinks that contain alcohol or caffeine, which can cause the body to lose water and make the vocal folds and larynx dry. Alcohol also irritates the mucous membranes that line the throat.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle and diet:
- Don't smoke and avoid second-hand smoke. Smoke irritates the vocal folds. Also, cancer of the vocal folds is seen most often in individuals who smoke.
- Avoid eating spicy foods. Spicy foods can cause stomach acid to move into the throat or esophagus, causing heartburn or GERD.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise increases stamina and muscle tone.
- Wash your hands often to prevent getting a cold or the flu.
- Get enough rest. Physical fatigue has a negative effect on voice.
Use your voice wisely:
- Try not to overuse your voice. Avoid speaking or singing when your voice is hoarse or tired.
- Avoid using the extremes of your vocal range, such as screaming or whispering. Talking too loudly and too softly can both stress your voice.