General
To improve patient safety, doctors are learning to give instructions on making sandwiches

To improve patient safety, doctors are learning to give instructions on making sandwiches

Shared by:

To understand the challenges of communicating medical directions, a PhD program innovates communication skills exercises – by means of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

today.mims.com

12 Nov 2016 - General

People can make mistakes everyday---even if if you're the most brilliant and most experienced doctor. Like with a routine filling, sometimes I pause in the middle of a procedure and I look at my assistant to ask, "Did I remember to etch the surface?", and she confirms it. And then there will be times when I'll be completely oblivious of the mistake/misstep and she goes, "Doc you forgot the bonding agent", and I'm totally grateful for her for that. And ...
 (Total 157 words)
This would be quite an amusing way to learn how to communicate to patients, but I think it is effective. Many health care professionals know that it really is a challenge to talk to patients and make sure they understand what you are trying to tell them - how to explain their disease, why they have certain symptoms, and how to best take their medicine. Being a pharmacist, one of the most crucial roles for those who directly interact with patients would be to make sure that the patient correctly ...
 (Total 155 words)
One of the major sources of medical errors is communication - misunderstanding between healthcare providers themselves, or between a patient and a healthcare professional. I think that the efforts of Monash University in improving the communication skills of their students will pay off. Perhaps this can also be placed within the curriculum of other courses that are involved in the healthcare industry. Explaining medical illnesses to a layperson takes skill and experience. Personally, there are t...
 (Total 121 words)
This interesting and informative article has focused the education regarding patient safety. Patient safety is crucial while treating any disease condition and recently multiple reported medication and diagnostic errors have necessitated the education to medical students regarding the safety of patients. There is a need for training and practice about different aspects of patient safety education to all healthcare professionals to reduce the errors to lower possible rate. Skills like effective t...
 (Total 118 words)
This is a very interesting article. Every year, hundreds of thousands across the world die of medical errors. Patient safety has received increased attention in recent years, but mostly with a focus on the epidemiology of errors and adverse events, rather than on practices that reduce such events. Universities are looking to teach clinicians and administrators to see medical problems in a new light. This can be achieved through comparing the theoretical and practical advices usually given with t...
 (Total 134 words)