General
SLE: A more life-threatening disease in young patients

SLE: A more life-threatening disease in young patients

Shared by:

Systemic lupus erythematosus affects mostly females of all ages, with more aggressive and life-threatening health effects observed in younger patients.

today.mims.com

12 Nov 2016 - General

SLE can be a very debilitating disease to live with. Not only because the disease itself is unpredictable and can flare up at any time, but also because the drug treatment to manage it can have nasty side effects, both long and short term. Hydroxychloroquine is a wonder drug for SLE patients at the moment. It's mechanism of action is not clearly known, but it has shown to slow down the progression of the disease and is often added to the regimen as a regular medication. Well managed SLE case...
 (Total 204 words)
I have a friend whose sister was has Lupus, she's in her late twenties now, but she has been sick for awhile and there are good days and bad. We hear about her concerns, as a sister, because she's really often sad about the fate of her younger sister with the disease. Anyway, recently my friend had been sick and she's been in and out of the hospital, getting tested. Lupus was the first thing she thought she had, because it all seemed familiar, and we had been praying for her. For wee...
 (Total 174 words)
Md Shamim Reza Thanking you for sharing your experiences on SLE. It is devastating disease that I came to know after your comments. As you told it is genetic and environment related and being autoimmune disease. Only symptomatic treatment only available till date. New drugs needed for complete treatment. Blisibimod, a new drug for SLE which acts by antagonising B-cell activating factor expecting Phase II clinical...
 (Total 91 words)
Among the commonest immunological diseases, SLE is the most devastating as I have seen. It can affect all of the organs and body systems. It can damage your kidneys, your liver and even your cardiovascular systems. I have seen many young female with SLE, living a painful life. One of my relative died from SLE , when she was only 19 years old. We still don't know the exact cause of SLE, not even the cure. There are some drugs, mostly steroid, which can reduce the disease progression. But the ...
 (Total 105 words)