General
How Unhealthy Are Your Favourite Condiments?

How Unhealthy Are Your Favourite Condiments?

Shared by:

It's strange trying to imagine French fries without ketchup or sushi without soy sauce — some condiments and foods are just meant for one another. Condiments and spreads add that oft-needed

www.huffingtonpost.ca

13 Nov 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro Oh yes! That white sauce for Persian kebab was probably conjured with sorcery. Personally, I enjoy the spicy pink/red sauce more. Thank you for pointing out the great selection of vinegars in the Philippines. Ilocos vinegar is a great choice. My personal choice would be pinakurat (cane vinegar pre-mixed with spices) and it is great for meat. Spicy condiments are also my weakness. Have you tried M...
 (Total 99 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Soy sauce is incorporated in most dishes in the country. Soy sauce and ginger are the two most common used ingredients in Asian dishes so we certainly cannot get away with salty food. Of the condiments mentioned, I often use vinegar because it balances the saltiness of most food. As for your comment concerning mayonnaise, I hate the taste of mayonnaise too. My apologies to mayonnaise lovers ...
 (Total 102 words)
Yes, Doc Ramp Ronald Allan Ponteres. I absolutely agree that sometimes we consume too much condiments, especially for potatoes in whatever form it comes. It is also a habit of us Filipinos to use soy liberally even with rice. All of us love to eat and cooking insipid food will not cut to our gustatory standards. Condiment use is probably one of the most overlooked factors in hypertension diet compliance. In my cl...
 (Total 107 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan The Filipino diet is heavy on the use of condiments too. We love to pair dishes with their sauce and I have to admit that the combinations are great. Usually we pair sweet sauce and salty food and vice versa. I agree with you that we have to be more cautious in using condiments. Some would really pump up the daily sodium intake to threshold easily such as soy sauce. Whenever I see sala...
 (Total 117 words)
This is one of the reasons why I barely use any condiments on my cheeseburger or hotdogs. The high content of sodium, salt, sugar and trans fat varies among these condiments. It is very hard to choose what is good for you as there will always a hidden agenda in the ingredients. Sad to say, i do not like to taste condiments in my burgers and hotdogs. Cause i believe that i should be tasting the original food instead of the condiments. I feel that with the condiments added into the food would just...
 (Total 142 words)
Nice article! Mark Edmon Tan since I was a child, I'm fond of spicy stuff. I always use the following: Sriracha, Wasabi paste, Chili sauce, Chili pepper, Korean red pepper paste, Jalapeno sauce and hotsauce. I use ketchup, soy sauce and mayonnaise sparingly, if at all. One of the condiments that was not discussed it the White Shawarma Sauce. I use a lot of if whenever I'm eating persian cuisine, and I do...
 (Total 120 words)
Awww, too bad as I love ketchup, barbecue sauce, and soy sauce, plus a lot of the other condiments mentioned. I guess many of us think we are eating healthy, yet we overlook condiments as a source of calories, fat and sodium. For example, when eating green salads, they may not be totally healthy if the dressing has mayonnaise, ketchup or other fatty or salty condiments. It’s great that aside from pointing out the weak points of these condiments and assigning them to a certain grade, the article ...
 (Total 108 words)
Condiments are the assassins that we rarely discuss with patients. Excessive use of condiments can answer why a patient has poor blood pressure or blood sugar control. When used out of proportion, they will provide empty sources of sugar and sodium. When this habit of slathering food with sauce adds up throughout the day, the effects can be devastating. I thought that it was great to share which condiments are healthy and harmful. It is our obligation to share this information to ensure that the...
 (Total 169 words)