General

Was there one patient that made your years of education all worth it?

Created by:

14 Nov 2016 - General

Share with us your most memorable experience with a patient and how this particular patient has brightened your outlook on career and life! 

Actually, there are a lot of patients that I have encountered, made my many years of medical education, and on-going medical training all worth it. Applying the clinical knowledge and skill that we learnt throughout the year, to successfully treat patients, is a great feeling. Sometime, we do have to make some tough clinical decisions, which may come along with some potential unavoidable risks itself. Most importantly, we should always do what is the best for patient. For example, I did come acr...
 (Total 198 words)
Stress has been a norm in this society nowadays but it depends how we manage it. It was very sad to know that your patient is a young adult that is almost the same age as you and had psychiatry issues due to academic failure. Having to see the patient suffer due to medications side effects besides being isolated by the community were the last thing I would be expecting as these may worsen the patient mental condition. This matter had gave me an insight to be a better pharmacist in the future, be...
 (Total 225 words)
There is one patient of mine who has history of hypertension, his son is a pharmacist too. Normally, she only bought her medicine with me but didn't really check her BP at my pharmacy. However one day, I insist to check on her BP. I initially just thought it would be just a normal BP checking but to my shocking, she have irregular heart beat! I wrote a referral letter on the spot and advice her to see doctor immediately at any emergency department. Ends up, she is diagnosed with heart failur...
 (Total 137 words)
Yes... When the patient is no other than your family member...

When your family member fall sick and hospitalized. All these years of learning and practicing slowly come handy. The brain feel like an orange juice, squeezed and squeezed to think of thousands of more comfortable ways for the patient, from
- diagnosing the illness
- interpreting investigations taken
- medication served & complaince
- down to taking care of the basic need ie nature call, how to assist i...
 (Total 166 words)
I agree with the opinions stating that there is no just one single patient who made me feel that way. The feeling of satisfaction that all years of struggle with education were not in vain should be living with us most of the time. From time to time I encounter a new experience that makes me feel grateful for being in the healthcare field and for being a doctor. Each new experience adds to its predecessor throughout the years of practice. This feeling is more special when we feel our knowledge a...
 (Total 129 words)
This one incident really struck me and made me feel to tiny in this universe.
One lady was admitted due to acute dysphagia for almost few days with poor control of diabetic.
She was referred by fellow MOs for diet consultation and management.
So as I was doing all the 'Normal' background interviewing and consultation, something felt awkward with this patient.
She seems very depressed with her conditions.
When asked about her compliance towards medication, she replie...
 (Total 396 words)
I am inspired by almost all of my patients especially caring for the geriatric patients. This reminds me of my grandparents wayback then. It makes me feel grateful to have cared for people who are in need, at the same time makes me feel sad and sorry for I was not able to care propey to my sick grandparents then. If only I can turn back time to have studied my profession earlier, I could have possible helped them all throughout their sufferings. Unfortunately its too late, but still not too late...
 (Total 154 words)
Not one patient made me feel worth of my education but.many.
I was working in a Primary health Center in Andrhapradesh ,India and was popular for my approach and councelling.I had immense satisfaction of conducting deliveries with minimum fecilities,attending to emergency Cholera epidemic camps and post retirement to be empathetic to those terminal cancer patients treating their physical,social pains for 10 yrs.Their condition made me humble in my life that medicines alone ease pain but eve...
 (Total 89 words)
For your question, yes. Theres this one person who made me think that all hardships and learnings are all worth it. We had a patient in ICU who is very kind and made you feel appreciated. Even though that this patient had a hard time to express her feelings due to old age and is attached ti a mechanical ventilator, still that patient does her best just to express her gratitude. She is the kind of person that beyond her painful status, she still make ways to cheer everyone up just by showing her ...
 (Total 170 words)
I had prevented the administration of wrong medication to a heart patient during my duty at hospital. She had very low BP 80/60 and she was going to take coversam 4/5 mg. While visiting her bed i had noticed her BP and seen the blister of coversam. The satisfaction and happiness on her face had really made my years of education all worth it. There are multiple other cases as well that we see on routine basis, as most of the people have no or little knowledge about medications and they are very c...
 (Total 107 words)
Community Manager no single patient case that influence me but many illness cases I faced in my work history.
I don't have big experiences but what really influence me is illness itself, how it affects not just the patient but family and surrounders.
Become ill or just face any health problem from minor to deadly illness all affect me and influence my career,
The saddest thing in my opinion is how...
 (Total 109 words)
Like the others here, I think it isn’t just a single patient but various encounters in the profession that made me realize that everything I learned was worth it. These are moments when I especially realize that I actually love being a pharmacist and I am thankful that I took it as a course. Examples of such encounters would be when I am able to enlighten confused patients on how to take their medications (especially the elderly ones), and it feels great when they are really appreciative of the ...
 (Total 189 words)
I don't have one single patient who changed my outlook on career and life. I feel that it is a cumulative effect of many patients and how they touched my life. It is especially for patients I serve in medical outreach programs who make a difference as their gratitude is very heart warming. Children always make me feel happy to be a doctor. Just recently I have been caring for a child post-operatively. I would dress his wound daily with much care and caution. I try to gain his trust and build...
 (Total 172 words)
All my patients are worth the hard work that I put into my education. In fact, I am chronically indebted to these patients for allowing me to learn about their illness, and their lives. It is always a privilege to be able to practice the healing art because being able to touch other's people lives in a special manner touches the core of our humanity. Once a person becomes a patient, he willingly submits to make himself vulnerable to uncertainty. Sometimes, what remains between you, the patie...
 (Total 130 words)
Whenever I treat family, I feel that being a dentist and going through the grueling clinic years in College was all worth it. This is most especially true when I treat my parents--and when I was treating my dad (before he passed away). When I was already a dentist and had a better understanding of how treatments should go, I wasn't happy with how my dad's previous dentist worked on his teeth. When I graduated and earned my license, one of the first things I did was to work on my dad'...
 (Total 118 words)
I still remember the glimpse of an old man, smiling at me and bestowing his blessings. There was this one patient called Mr. Mansukh Padhiyar, whom I treated for a complete denture during my internship. I was not a master of this profession at that time, still, this man trusted me in each and every step. He was my first patient for CD and when you get such supportive patients in the initial days of your career, it is very rewarding. After his CD was made, he was so happy with the results as now ...
 (Total 159 words)