General
Hospitals on the sea – Mercy Ships

Hospitals on the sea – Mercy Ships

Shared by:

Believing that the most efficient way to reach out to people living along the coast is by going through the seas, Mercy Ships has been bringing hope to patients around the world. For over 35 years, hospital ships managed by the international charity have been sailing a greater part of the world, delivering modern healthcare services to those in need. Not having a permanent and fixed location makes Mercy Ships more effective in reaching out to the people most in need of healthcare services.

today.mims.com

14 Nov 2016 - General

This is quite amazing! I didn’t know that there were Mercy Ships still serving the people. The added mobility and accessibility of these ships can really help serve people living along the coast who do not have access to proper medical care. For health care professionals who are on the adventurous side, I think its also a great chance to volunteer. A crew of more than 400 people is really impressive! The ship must be really big too, considering that it is fully equipped with basic needs, like a ...
 (Total 127 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz there I did remember right. It is pure volunteer work plus needing to pay for all your expenses. Doesn't sound all too bad. I would although have to wait till I am sub-specialized before I can even choose to render such kind of free services and pay to be there. I would like to know on roughly how much it would cost but the FAQS page said it would depend on how long you serve. Fortunately th...
 (Total 108 words)
Jennifer Winter has a brilliant idea I wish it comes true one day. I searched a bit about this project and found they are operating now in Madagascar then they will sail to Benin then Cameroon. Marinelle Castro , Maria Cristina Inserto You may nee...
 (Total 181 words)
Marinelle Castro Yes it truly is. Of course it cannot be too long of a commitment as this is volunteer work. We would need to earn some amount first to be able to spend those weeks or months volunteering our services. I think you could even bring your family with you so that would be great to those married and with kids. Working vacation ;) ...
 (Total 126 words)
Oh wow. I would love to be a part of this kind of operation. This is amazing--and like most of you here, this is the first time that I'm hearing about Mercy Ships. I remember when Pres Duterte said he would like the Ang Pangulo (The President) yacht turned into a hospital, I thought wow that would be helpful especially for disasters. A travelling hospital, right? And then I find out there is actually a functioning operation that has been helping people by travelling across bodies of water. I...
 (Total 109 words)
Like Mahmoud AbdelAziz this is the first time that I've read about this. The number of surgeries that they have done is quite impressive. Assuming that the number has been constant since 1978, Mercy ship does 2227 surgeries/ year...which is at least 5-6 surgeries per day. I believe that this kind of census is very impressive for a floating hospital. I'm just wondering about their post-operative care. Do ...
 (Total 117 words)
I heard about Mercy Ships a few years back and was interested to join. I attended a convention where I signed up at a Mercy Ships to have them email me and tell me more about the work. I never got an email though hehe. That didn't really discourage me. I am hoping to get a chance to work on a Mercy Ship one day. The amount of time you serve depends on your specialty and they require a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of 6 months for surgeons I believe (though I may have mixed the maximum w...
 (Total 137 words)
Wow, fully equipped hospitals floating, it is my first time to read about the medical city sailing in the waters across the blue world. I am really impressed with the number of surgeries and other procedures performed on board. After reading about the project, I found that the ships are actually oil tankers turned floating hospitals each the height of a 10-story building and the length of three football fields. It is a really inspiring project that gives hope in more efficacy and accessibility f...
 (Total 113 words)