General
Smoking negatively affects total hip BMD in older individuals

Smoking negatively affects total hip BMD in older individuals

Shared by:

Current smoking appears to promote a significant decrease in total hip bone mass density (BMD) in older men and women, according to the results of a sub-study of Taiwan Osteoporosis Survey presented at the 6th Asia-Pacific Osteoporosis Meeting (IOF Regionals 2016) in Singapore.

specialty.mims.com

15 Nov 2016 - General

Another adverse effect of smoking. Thanks for sharing. In the last few days, I have seen multiple posts on smoking and its hazard in the community. Some discussed about lung cancer, some talked about vascular disease, stroke etc. Smoking is related with various kind of life threatening conditions. I like to ask, is there any good effects of smoking? Can you tell me one? I don't see any usefulness of smoking. It is a waste of money, waste of health. Then why do people smoke? I am sure, man...
 (Total 132 words)
A sub-study of Taiwan Osteoporosis Survey has been carried out in Singapore about smoking. It has been seen that current smoking appears to promote a significant decrease in total hip bone mass density (BMD) in older men and women while on the other hand, lumber spine BMD progressively decreased with age regardless of smoking status only in women. The research study was carried out for both men and women and results have shown that current smoking women had slightly lower lumbar spine BMD compar...
 (Total 112 words)