General
+ 2

Let's Talk About FOOD

Created by:

17 Nov 2016 - General

Food lovers unite! Let's steer away from health related topics and let's talk about food. Who doesn't love food anyways? Working in the healthcare field can be stressful and demanding. When time permits, we destress by either eating out or cooking.

What's your favorite food? Since we all came from different countries, what's your list of food that are must-try's for foreigners? I am from the Philippines and here are my favorites and must- try's:

1. Sinigang (Sour Meat Stew)

-Sinigang is my all time favorite that I would gladly eat any time of the day. It is basically pork with vegetables, such as okra, eggplant, radish, in tamarind soup. For everyone who enjoy Thai's Tom Yum Goong, this would be a treat likewise. However, in Sinigang, it is more on the savory side compared to Tom Yum's aromatic and herby taste. It is usually cooked with pork, but you can also use beef, fish or shrimp.

2. Kare- Kare (Oxtail Stew)

- Kare kare is basically meat with a thick peanut sauce that compliments really well with vegetables, oxtail, tripes and pork leg. It creates a fusion of sweet, savory, with a slightly nutty taste. For those who doesn't like peanut butter, fear not because it does not taste anything like a soupy peanut butter. It is paired with shrimp paste, because Kare- Kare alone would taste a little bit bland. My description kinda sound weird, but I swear by it.

3. Sisig

Sisig are for the ultimate meat lovers. It is made from pig face, ears, liver and meat-- put together, seasoned with a little bit of soy sauce and ginger. Anthony Bourdain swears by this too and considers it one of the ultimate drunk food. Usually served with pork, but variations of tuna, chicken, shrimp, squid tastes good as well. There are no words to exactly describe how good it is, you just have to see for yourself.

I uploaded pics for reference. I know a lot of Filipino members still have a lot to share, but this is just my list. What are your favorite local food? Share away! :)

Marinelle Castro I ate gising gising for the first time a few weeks back, it is delicious! Best paired with fish or seafood. Pinakbet too, the taste neutralizes anything that is paired wit...
 (Total 52 words)
Madhubabu kaaja , i like the nutty taste with a little salty after taste. Its natural sweetness that comes with the savory taste that comes from the softened meat really hits the spot for me...
 (Total 103 words)
Who doesn't like eating! Its one of the most satisfying things in the world! To add to the list that Tarah Cadiz posted, my top favorite dish is Gising-gising. This is a vegetable ste...
 (Total 124 words)
I love to take new type food and love to sleep. I will try to taste new food, if new taste fits for me I never leave that taste. Actually I am not native to Philippines but after seeing all three, second item kare-kare looking delicious to me. I like...
 (Total 109 words)