General
Pharmacists: How do you decide if a medication is safe for pregnant mothers?

Pharmacists: How do you decide if a medication is safe for pregnant mothers?

Shared by:

Pregnant mothers are told to always consult their gynaecologist or pharmacists if they are taking any medications or are thinking of starting some medications. These may include over-the-counter medications, dietary or herbal products. See these guidelines on deciding which drugs are safe to recommend to pregnant mothers.

today.mims.com

18 Nov 2016 - General

In my our institution, every nurse station and consultation area has a drug formulary and MIMS drug reference. For pregnant patients, it is standard to check the drug category as Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan and Tahira Nawaz pointed out before prescribing any medication. For interventions and procedures, it is standard of care to...
 (Total 129 words)
I do not hesitate to say that I also had some grey ideas on what antibiotic to use during the pregnancy. While the first few days I started to practice, I got cleared them. What I learnt was a bit different from the real practice. Usually cephalexin and amoxycillin are known as safe drugs to be used for pregnant women. Whenever I have a doubt about a drug I used to check the BNF or Medscape to clarify it. Medscape categorizes those drugs into 5 groups as a scale. So with the indication, we decid...
 (Total 111 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto It's great that you get a clearance first from a patient’s OB before performing any procedure or giving any anesthesia. ALso especially because pregnant patients tend to bleed more easily due to the increased blood supply. As for the discussion and like Tahira Nawaz mentioned, pharmacists and other healt...
 (Total 181 words)
Thanks for this, this is a good article and a good place to refer to, in case. But in my practice, when I am confronted with a case by a pregnant woman, I limit myself to procedures cleared by her OB. For teeth extractions (and other surgical procedures) and root canal treatments, I seek medical clearance from the OB before administering anesthesia, or prescribing any medications, because I prefer to be safe. I'd rather leave it to the primary carer (in the case of the pregnancy) to be certa...
 (Total 89 words)
All medications are not safe during pregnancy so it is a duty of pharmacist to tell the patient about the safety of different drugs in pregnancy. It is an advice for pregnant ladies to consult gynecologists or pharmacist before taking any type of medications because it is a very sensitive matter of health for both mother and child. There is also a change in medical conditions such as asthma or epilepsy of women after becoming pregnant so there may be a need for more than two medications continuo...
 (Total 118 words)