General
How you can reduce your salt intake

How you can reduce your salt intake

Shared by:

Some foods contain higher amounts of salt than you may expect. The biggest culprits are processed foods.

www.thejakartapost.com

18 Nov 2016 - General

Madhubabu kaaja
The most well-known side effect of too much salt is hypertension, or high blood pressure. An excess of salt causes blood vessels to constrict, which is dangerous because the heart is required to work harder to pump blood throughout the body. Prolonged hypertension increases the risk of heart disease, heart failure, stroke, and kidney disease. Another side effect of too much salt is edema, a sw...
 (Total 192 words)
Ion balancing is a real challenge because unless we consume a labelled food which tells us how much salt is there, we are unaware of the amount of salt we take for our meals. Having much salt in the food is not that good for the people those who have high blood pressure because since salts are highly osmotically active, they try to retain water inside our bodies letting the amount of the circulatory fluid high. It will keep the blood pressure always high. So they are advised to limit the salt in...
 (Total 109 words)
I agree with Theekshana Abayawickrama that reducing salt in one's diet is not a walk in the park, especially if you are accustomed to salty food. I also have the same sensitivity to the amount of salt in my food. I really like flavored food, but too much of anything can change the food's palatability. I think one of the most practical advice that we can give our patients to help them limit their salt inta...
 (Total 119 words)
Reducing salt intake is not as easy as it sounds. Our taste receptors are so used to the taste of salt that even a small change in the salt concentration in our food can make a big difference to the taste of the food. I don't know if this is true for others, but I am very sensitive for the amount of salt that is in my food. A little too much or a little too less can make the food unpalatable. But as healthcare workers, before we can advice patients to restrict salt intake, we ourselves shoul...
 (Total 103 words)