Too Busy for Exercise

Created by:

19 Nov 2016 - General

photo from Target Health Global - Target Health Inc

"Doctor, I do not have the time for exercise."

"My schedule makes it impossible to fit in an exercise regimen."

"Aren't medicines supposed to keep me healthy already?"

"Do I really have to exercise?"

These are some of the most common statements I hear when I stress the need for regular exercise. It scratches my head when patients believe that they do not have time for exercise. My favorite answer is that there is no time for anything until we make time for it. Whenever patients decline to see the point of exercising, we must stress the need further. If they still refuse to hear our explanation, we must do a better job of pointing the necessity of physical ativity to prevent medical complications. Sometimes, it takes just one witty response like this example from a medical comic to make patients amenable to a regular exercise program.

For the MIMS community, how do you stress the need for exercise to a patient who claims to be busy?

Savio Figueiredo Thank you for stressing on the 4 solid points regarding this topic. I really agree with the first one. Look the part and act the part as a healthcare professional. We have ...
 (Total 122 words)
Neelam Nath Thank you for pointing out the need to individualize workout regimens according to co-morbidities. It should really be tailored to each individual. Even the target heart rate is...
 (Total 124 words)
HT WEE Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Personality is indeed a neglected factor in ensuring compliance with exercise routines. However, we must not let a patient's personality be t...
 (Total 79 words)
I have the following points to make
1. First of all you must practice what you preach, so if you are suggesting that your client/patient should exercise , you should be doing it first. If I am obese and sloppy , I should not be giving such advic...
 (Total 135 words)
Exercise Programme should be individualistic,depending on age,weight,lifestyle,heart-lung health and will power. Lungs suffering from COPD grade 1 may tire a person for want of more oxygen but after a heart attack/ bypass surgery the same person may ...
 (Total 127 words)
Kali Mishra Thank you for sharing your experience with encouragement of patients to increase their physical activity levels. You are nipping it in the root cause of sedentary lifestyle - re...
 (Total 112 words)
Rohidas Shetty Thank you for sharing your tip on promoting physical activity to patients. Great! I am very interested in your article. Are you posting the article in the MIMS community too? ...
 (Total 85 words)
it is little bit funny ,i recommended those people who haven't time for exercise just keep their mind opened ,and relaxed , and keep their mind and mood in a happy condition .so they will free from stress .and add walking or swimming or bic...
 (Total 55 words)
My advice to my patients: Exercise while watching TV.
It makes exercise fun and helps you to make TV-watching time truly productive.
I'm writing an article on this topic - How to Lose Weight While Watching TV.
Let me know if you wa...
 (Total 46 words)
NIKHIL NARVEKAR Thank you for pointing out that lack of equipment should not be a limiting factor for doing exercise regularly. We have a lot of home exercises available online that can be d...
 (Total 98 words)
One does not have to visit a gymnasium for doing exercises. There are simple exercises which can be done at or around home. The absence of implements like tread mills or weights does not matter. Walking , running for 5 minutes or jogging at the same ...
 (Total 103 words)
Alan Rosmadi Thank you for giving pointers and emphasizing the need to find time for exercise. Exercise and physical activity can be fun especially when you have kids. Playing with kids are...
 (Total 132 words)
There are other frameworks that we learn in COFM - community occupational family medicine module back in medical school days and also in lifestyle module of my masters in public health. These frameworks are pretty helpful in assisting us to tailor a ...
 (Total 66 words)
All i can say to this is make time for exercise. Time management is key to success. All of us are tied up to a career and family. Why not include exercise as part of your work and family time. You can always incorporate exercise into work. For exampl...
 (Total 148 words)
Tarah Cadiz Showing up gets you halfway through exercising. Lacing up those running shoes or standing at the first sound of the alarm are the things that we struggle to do. It takes discipl...
 (Total 100 words)
I think exercise itself is difficult to start and maintain. Well, first it feels like a chore-- waking up early in the morning, or heading straight to the gym after work. Even in between work and rest, initiating simple exercises can be difficult. Bu...
 (Total 77 words)
Jibesh Patra You are right. Intentional exercise is tiring when it is forced. Hence, we cannot force patients to just enrol in the gym, swim, or bike. We have to know what interests them th...
 (Total 109 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh I like the PRECEDE framework as a tool for exercise motivation. It will really work when you facilitate a patient's understanding that exercise can help him/her achiev...
 (Total 102 words)
Kathleen Peralta Like I've said, I really wish roads here would present an option to ride a bike to work. It simply would not work in our current road condition. It is true that people ...
 (Total 89 words)