General
Here's What Happens to Your Brain During a Scary Movie

Here's What Happens to Your Brain During a Scary Movie

Shared by:

And why some scenes feel so real.

www.realsimple.com

19 Nov 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro Same here. I definitely agree that the Japanese have been doing great things with horror films. They are really good with creating a dark setting that does not give a period of relief for the audience. I must say that their creativity are highlighted too with such films. Which one would be your favorite of all the Asian films? My wife and I have both seen Shutter separately and we agree that this...
 (Total 108 words)
Mark Edmon Tan hahaha interesting article! I like watching suspense-thrillers and Horror films! In fact, sometimes I watch re-runs of creepy scenes from a compilation of Japanese horror flicks. I believe that among all the horror films that I watched, Asian film makers are really the best! From the plot to the sound track and camera angles! Anyway, to answer your question, in stressful scenes, I keep one eye open...
 (Total 115 words)
Heena Pohani Thank you for sharing your observations of what probably takes place with a viewer's body while watching a scary or suspense-packed film. You are right with stating that engaging the viewer is the first order of business in producing a scary film. Most films are shot in a 1st person view to enhance the suspense or element of surprise. Scenes like this engage the senses of the body sans the sense ...
 (Total 147 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Thank you for sharing your classic tip. Covering the eyes yet feeling curious can sometimes get us with a sudden scary scene. Do you use the throw pillows for covering those eyes too. I know someone who watches only the bottom half of the screen to avoid getting too scared. haha. I am sure that there will be flashback scenes of the movie when you have to get a glass of water in the mid...
 (Total 149 words)
Haha..quite an interesting article Mark Edmon Tan. I believe the producers of such movies are making such a high sum of money from such movies due to this user-engagement fact. Definitely, we get transported altogether to a different world while watching the scary movies. And yes, I too agree the most scary character in the center-screen. The element of suspense if present in a movie, even if it's not a scary...
 (Total 150 words)
I personally try to avoid watching scary movies, especially since at times they give me nightmares and make me a scaredy cat especially when I’m the only person awake in the whole house in the middle of the night, haha. For the past scary movies I’ve watched, well, yes I guess most of the scary elements appear at the middle of the screen which allow the viewer to focus only on that area. Plus, the scary background music helps keep your eyes frozen on the screen for any sudden movements that coul...
 (Total 173 words)
My wife and I just watched a horror movie and I became curious as to what happens during watching a scary film. Apparently, it has been reviewed in a research and will be published soon. The finding centers on how an individual reacts to suspense scenes. It seems that people will ignore all the details in the background and shift attention to the center of the screen (essentially a tunnel vision). This probably explains why the ghosts routinely appear on the center of the screen. For the MIMS co...
 (Total 127 words)