General
The disappointment of mothers in medicine

The disappointment of mothers in medicine

Shared by:

We have to care enough to make a change. Unfortunately, those of us living it don’t have the energy left to exert the force needed to bring about change.

www.kevinmd.com

21 Nov 2016 - General

Oh my, this article really is full of raw emotion. And I believe it honestly reflects what new mothers in the medical field feel like. I admire the author for writing this piece, since I think that it is taboo to speak up this way, especially if you are part of a prestigious fellowship. I, however, agree that spending at least two months with your newborn should be a priority and every job, program or fellowship should have a policy for this. I think not having such a policy is quite sexist sinc...
 (Total 154 words)
This is a common issue with residency and fellowship training. I feel bad for the doctor-mothers who could not enjoy the mandatory 2-month maternity leave because training programs do not tolerate such a long absence. One could feel the author's disappointment because she is struggling to find the balance between motherhood and being a doctor. It is really hard to find that delicate balance since both are a vocation. Someday, I hope that training programs can let doctors become mothers too. ...
 (Total 130 words)
She should have been fortunate that she was chosen to be in the ACGME trainingship and eventually entering a fellowship. Thousands of qualified physician out there would love to be able to make a spot in the US Residency. The grass is always greener on the other side, but I do have to admit that it is not easy to be a mother and to nurse a baby. Which is why mothers are really so amazing. I think the author of this article could take a back and think it through and try to strike a balance betwe...
 (Total 121 words)
Oh my this is so beautiful. It is so honest and pure, but emotionally rich. I can feel her frustration, passion, pain and struggle with every paragraph. You can see that she is physically, emotionally and mentally torn between her career and her personal life. You can see how she has set a specific place for patients in her hearts, that goes well beyond the demands of her career. Her priorities, she mentioned, ranks as GOD-->FAMILY-->PATIENTS-->FELLOWSHIP. I know this. I have gone throu...
 (Total 179 words)
Awww. The topic is about the doctor who became a mother. I believe that the most important above all is family and work is beyond that. And the story goes when she delivered her baby and her priorities was not followed as what she want it to be. I guess, being a mother and a doctor is really hard to balance and you will be in real struggle if it is your first time to encounter and if you have so many obligations in work. I wonder how doctors or healthcare professionals in this community gain con...
 (Total 108 words)
Afaque Ali thank you for sharing this article to be discussed which talk about the struggle of a working new mom and how she is miserable that she can't spend time with her baby and husband, this article really touched me, I remembered one of my relatives, after she gave birth of her baby , she was forced due to work obligations and her parents weren't there to take care of her baby , to leave her baby in...
 (Total 112 words)