General
Expedition medicine: Work and travel for daring doctors

Expedition medicine: Work and travel for daring doctors

Shared by:

Taking the road less travelled into the increasingly popular field of expedition medicine can give doctors a brand-new perspective of their profession, incredible experiences, and best of all – an always-exciting workplace.

today.mims.com

21 Nov 2016 - General

Wow! For those who want to travel and are fond of adventure, this would be the perfect career! Getting to travel and see exciting places while still being able to practice your profession and help people, all the while being paid for it — that would indeed be the dream job of many! Of course, this would come with its own risks, as in some instances you may be pushing yourself to physical limits, but I think it is quite an exciting option to consider. Also, it could be perfect for those looking f...
 (Total 111 words)
This is pretty interesting and this is a good option to those who are adventure-seekers. Personally, I would consider this just for the experience of it - perhaps a year or two, but not more than that. Although I like adventure, I also like stability in working environments. In terms of work, stability could be of great use because it will enable a person to develop or improve processes to make delivery of care more efficient. In unpredictable environments, this is not possible. It is exciting a...
 (Total 107 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz thank you for sharing this article to be discussed, it is my first time to hear about this kind of medicine,it seems interesting to work like that waking up in your workplace with the magnificent view of nature spending the most beautiful times in your life , but what if you faced a wild animal or experienced weather changes.
Working with small kit also make you not prepared for all accident...
 (Total 111 words)
I would do this for a living as long as i know i am fit for the challenges coming my way. I have been doing remote medicine for awhile now but without the hiking and adrenaline adventure that these medics go through. It would be exciting to be able to hike up Mount Everest or roaming around the jungles of the Amazon. These would be exciting for me and fun. especially for those thrill seekers. But what makes it hard for some to venture into these line is the instability of the job. It is not alwa...
 (Total 183 words)
This sounds cool, but you gotta have the heart for adventure with these kinds of job. I know one doctor who is part of Doctors Without Borders. She does travel a lot and I have heard interesting stories from her, but what I really got from her experiences and story were all about passion for the job and humanity. I watched VICE videos too, about the ongoing bombings and war on the other side of the globe. Hands down, I gotta give it to the doctors who are front liners in these kinds of situation...
 (Total 137 words)
Wow! that is great news. Last September I have been far deep to the tropical jungles of Borneo along with a group of mixed foreigners and locals who some of them were found to be actually police undercover. Being there in that isolated clinic has taught us many valuable things. We had a live experience and a rare opportunity to see and treat people living in their old huts with few clothes on their bodies, no electricity and only clean river water was available. The experience was really wonderf...
 (Total 126 words)
Tomorrow I leave for week-long mission trip in the mountains of Mindoro, here in the Philippines. Last month I was there for just 3 days, but tomorrow I join the same team for a week. It may never compare to expeditions to the Himalayas, but the opportunity to serve unreached areas in the country is a great privilege. Our team works with the military. We need to partner with the military because the mountains is rich with local communists and so they offer assistance in terms of mobility and sec...
 (Total 143 words)
very interesting! Expedition medicine means practicing medicine in the places where conditions are unusual and extreme sometimes. The expedition medical team is responsible for the lives of explorers and adventurers. They will be there on the frontlines to witness the wildest weather changes and the toughest landscapes guarding the human existence in these places. I really dream to work on this field one day. However, those who may consider this job should be physically and psychologically fit e...
 (Total 116 words)