General
Dangers of Fad Diets

Dangers of Fad Diets

Shared by:

Trying to lose weight quickly? Fad diets can be dangerous and bad for you. Here are four compelling reasons that losing weight quickly will not work effectively.

www.readersdigest.ca

21 Nov 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro Thank you for the solid points on weight watching with respect to healthcare profession. It is very true that most of us in the healthcare are emotional or stress eaters. We try to compensate lack of sleep or tackle overwhelming tasks by turning to food for comfort. We also have very thoughtful patients who make sweet treats readily available in the offices (we are not complaining for the record ...
 (Total 131 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for adding your opinion on this topic and highlighting a common problem of fad diets - rebound weight gain. As I have mentioned, weight loss with fad diets is mostly due to water loss. Fad dieters will of course feel good about the pounds they shed and start binging again once the diet has commenced. This leads to weight gain and most of the time the dieter ends up with a heavier wei...
 (Total 120 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I agree that one should not "diet", and instead make permanent changes in one's lifestyle. Personally, I have slowly tried cutting one bad habit after another, and I am happy with my progress. But of course there is always room for improvement. For those who want to lose weight, increasing one'e physical activities will really help a lot, but this requires discipline and commitme...
 (Total 149 words)
Any diet that restricts certain foods or limits calories typically leads to weight loss. But what happens after the diet ends? Quick weight-loss diets or fad diets rarely bring long-term, sustainable results because people return to their poor eating habits as soon as the diet ends. It is not advisable for those people who is planning to lose weight. Just like what Dc. You Yi Hong mentioned there is no shortcuts...
 (Total 134 words)
You Yi Hong Thank you for imparting your opinion in the topic. Your statement about exercise combined with a healthy, sensible, and balanced diet is the best advice for both weight loss and maintenance. You are right in saying that weight loss should be gradual in increments of about 0.5 - 1kg per week. This prevents excessive loss of lean tissue. As for fad diets, most are gimmicks designed to help lose a lot of...
 (Total 166 words)
There is definitely no shortcut for losing weight quickly. As mentioned, Fad diet is really bad for our health. The proper way to lose weight is the combination of controlled healthy diet with regular exercise regimen. And this should be done in a gradual fashion over weeks to months. There is no any magic way to lose significant weight in a week or two. Lifestyle intervention will be the best way to lose some weight. We should avoid unhealthy food that is high in sugar, fat, and salt content....
 (Total 115 words)
In line with the previous article I posted, here are some of the reasons whys we should shy away from these fad diet. In reality, losing weight abruptly can do more harm than good. A healthy lifestyle can be very challenging to achieve especially if you have so much to do at work and at home. The best diet is not a diet at all, but a way of life that includes food you enjoy, exercise, and healthy habits. Patience and perseverance is the key to reaching this goal. In my own experience, it is effe...
 (Total 182 words)