General
Should patients undergo unnecessary imaging tests even if they insist on it?

Should patients undergo unnecessary imaging tests even if they insist on it?

Shared by:

The majority of health care practitioners would agree that imaging is unnecessary for patients that complain of nonspecific or sub-acute lower back pain for a duration of less than four weeks.

today.mims.com

22 Nov 2016 - General

Imaging is in the same analogy. Well, being from a public health background, health care is a scarce resource and we should always aim to practice quartenary prevention - which is to avoid wastage of medical resources. Suppose all the patients reques...
 (Total 90 words)
I strongly believe that although patient has the autonomy, a patient of sound mind can choose the various options when offered and decline treatment, but they do not have the right to request for medication or procedure deemed unnecessary.
We doc...
 (Total 124 words)
Marinelle Castro I agree to what you said that patients has the right to autonomy and so I will respect their wish if they insists on a diagnostic/imaging procedure paid from their own mone...
 (Total 115 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta I am currently working in a private institution and I have encountered patients who insist on doing certain tests, which in my opinion are unnecessary. On the ethical ...
 (Total 127 words)
This is a nice question Mahmoud AbdelAziz. I would like to hear the experiences of all the doctors in the community. Do you allow your patients to undergo unnecessarry procedures especially...
 (Total 85 words)
Many patients have the established instinct that certain symptoms require necessarily specific investigations. This idea comes mainly from their educational background and shared experiences with their social circles. Following the patients lead in t...
 (Total 142 words)