General
Medical scholarships, return service clause to address doctor shortage

Medical scholarships, return service clause to address doctor shortage

Shared by:

To address the shortage and misdistribution of doctors in the Philippines, a lawmaker has filed a bill which seeks to distribute medical scholarships which would then require graduates to render work in the country for five years, two of which must be in government practice.

today.mims.com

23 Nov 2016 - General

A lot of doctors practice in the city for several reasons. First, practicing medicine in areas without adequate medical facilities can be very frustrating -- especially for the new graduates. Imagine knowing the diagnosis and the appropriate treatment - - only that these are not available in that region, and the patient ends up transferring to the city hospital or somewhere else. Second, studying medicine is a very expensive investment - time, effort and money. After graduation, doctors usually...
 (Total 140 words)
Whooow! I never expected that doctor/patient ration. 1:33,000? I never thought it is tht much until I read or saw the figures in my own two eyes. And yes, I agree with Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan that this is a sensible idea and I hope that this gets approved. It's about time for Philippines government to become more proactive in dealing with this shortage. Definitely, this is not a waste of government funds ...
 (Total 134 words)
I think that this is a sensible proposal. Currently, certain scholarships given out by national organizations like the Department of Science and Technology also require the recipient to remain in the country to render service for a number of years after graduation. If this would be an answer to doctor shortage and maldistribution, then it should be given a shot. Also, to address the shortage of doctors in community and rural settings, I think that the area of community health should be uplifted....
 (Total 240 words)