General

Proper Patient Identification

Created by:

24 Nov 2016 - General

Proper patient identification is one of the international patient safety goals that has been endorsed by the Joint Commission International (JCI). They recommend that hospitals should use two patient identifiers prior to administration of medications, or any form of medical service. Medical errors that result from misidentification of patients are usually catastrophic, especially if this involves drug administration. The JCI also specifically emphasized that there is a need to eliminate misidentification when it comes to blood banking. In our institution, we use the bar code and a data scanner to ensure proper identification. Patients are also asked about their names and birthdays prior to any intervention. Each patient is assigned a unique PIN, which is incorporated in the hospital's database. I believe that this practice has helped our institution in ensuring safe care for patients. How does your institution ensure correct patient identification? Do you also use a certain form of technology?

I have several similar experiences because in our institution, when the hospital is nearly full, a lot of patients will opt to get admitted at any room until their ideal room becomes available. Because of this, it is not uncommon for patients to transfer rooms and it gets quite confusing especially when we are attending to a lot of patients. This is the reason why I think that the recommendation of Joint Commission International is very appropriate and effective for ensuring patient safety. They...
 (Total 116 words)
I really like that idea of bar codes and having to scan the patient prior to blood transfusion and other procedures. I have experienced walking into a patient's room or just going to a bed in the ward and the person on the bed is not the patient. Here I am with my dressing tray or going to interview the patient to find some other person laying there. Just earlier I was supposed to dress an pregnant status post appendectomy patient and I find a man in the patient's bed Haha :) well that&#...
 (Total 114 words)
Marinelle Castro I think I know that institution. The midwives attach the baby tags immediately to lessen the chance of misidentification. However, I think you are right that this practice is unsafe and prone to error especially because most are sleep-deprived in that institution. It would really be hard to identify whose baby belongs to which mother because of the census and similarity of features when babies li...
 (Total 123 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I understand because a lot of hospitals in the country utilize conventional tags. Your post just reminded me of my experience during my obstetric rotation in a government institution, wherein it is so routinary for midwives and nurses to put tags on babies that it made me wonder if there are any chances that they already made an error that they themselves are not aware of. Truthfully, all babies lo...
 (Total 115 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz in our institution, patients still wear tags, but these tags contain stickers with bar codes that can be scanned for confirmation. I agree that manually placed tags can cause patient misidentification and there is a lot of merit to utilizing automated systems in this regard. The only disadvantage of such is that hospital employees it can delay processes by a few seconds/minutes depending on the...
 (Total 116 words)
Proper patient identification should be taken seriously. This avoids the risk of giving the wrong medicine or performing procedures such as blood extraction to the wrong patient. Unfortunately, our institution still uses the conventional tags with the patient's name written in a cardboard like material and inserted. To ensure correct patient identification, the patient is asked to state his name, address, and birthday. The healthcare professional confirms this with the patient's data rec...
 (Total 97 words)
In the state of Sarawak, Malaysia, the most common is to wear tight nametags around the wrists. Usually, the identity is double checked prior to tagging by asking about name, birthday and checking the personal photo in the identification card. The proper patient identification procedures can save lots of trouble that sometimes are fatal. In the past some incidents happened that led to patient undergoing unplanned surgery or dispensing wrong medications to the wrong person. I certainly would go f...
 (Total 114 words)