General
Working out while working: 8 ‘deskercises’ for nurses

Working out while working: 8 ‘deskercises’ for nurses

Shared by:

As healthcare providers, nurses constantly advise patients to exercise. Yet, with stressful schedules, it is hard to walk the talk when all you want is to hit the bed after a long day.

today.mims.com

24 Nov 2016 - General

I do work exercises sometimes, when I'm busy and cannot insert a proper visit to the gym due to my schedule. I have 2lb dumbbells in my clinic so I can do arm exercises in the middle of a busy day, but it's not always that I get to take it out. The most I can do are easy exercises like desk pushups, planks, biceps and triceps... and then choosing to walk up and down the stairs, instead of taking the elevator. I'll keep some of these exercises in mind. Most of the time, when I'm u...
 (Total 139 words)
These are a great way to get the blood circulating and ease tension from muscles and joints for anyone whose job involves long hours at a desk. As I read somewhere, “sitting is the new smoking,” and every hour spent sitting down poses a lot of risks for vital body organs such as the lungs, spine, GIT and circulatory system. I would agree to some of the comments mentioned here though, that hopefully deskercises would not be too weird to do in the workplace. It could be fun if everyone at work wou...
 (Total 114 words)
Madhubabu kaaja very interesting tips to be followed at work for nurses and any one who can't find a break or time to excercise.
Nurses specially are always in stress and their work most of the time is in hurry working with emergencies, they not always have the time to rest or take a break , they barely take their lunch or may be a snack , these tips will be very helpful for them as their work requires lon...
 (Total 110 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta these exercise really helpful a lot while you are at working station with your document work. well said, nothing additional time needed for this exercises, you can do both work and exercises and you can do with your colleagues as told by You Yi Hong . Thanking you for showing your interest on the topic. Thankin...
 (Total 63 words)
You Yi Hong yes, it is very interesting when we practising with our colleagues and fellow HCPs which creates fun and improves good relations also. Author named right word for this excercises, I thought it is a spelling mistake, after reading the entire content, I came to know author assigned a good word. By practising this deskercises can help us as our jobs are stressed with physical and mental activities. Tha...
 (Total 85 words)
I agree with the rest of the community members that these simple exercises are helpful to keep ourselves moving while we are at work. However, I would have to emphasize that these should not substitute (at the very least) moderate-intensity exercises to maintain cardiovascular fitness. Sometimes people tend to be complacent about their physical activity because they have already performed "some of it". People who do not have time to go to the gym, or engage themselves in sports activit...
 (Total 120 words)
People are getting creative with incorporating fitness with daily activities and I really like the progress. Deskercises are an easy and convenient way to stay in shape while at work. I have long been advocating bodyweight exercises as great everyday exercises that we can do absolutely anywhere. These 8 deskercises are all bodyweight exercises incorporated into the workplace setting. Keeping posture in check with shoulder blade squeezes and firing up the gluteal muscles with hip extensions are r...
 (Total 130 words)
I love the idea of taking some stretchercise during the duration of our duty shift. This tips is really easy to comply especially when working on our paperworks or when documenting. For there are some tips mentioned that can be performed when sitting. This article enlightened me that we should consider exercise a different form of staying and keeping a fit and healthy state. Afterall it will only take most probably 3-5 mins. Which i find it not bad at all as long as our body will benefit it. Tha...
 (Total 96 words)
This is very much helpful for us nurses who treat exercise as if like a treatment and not a treat for ourselves. Most of us nurses would treat our duties as if its like a form of exercise and never dare to go out of our way to perform the real activity. Thanks to this article wherein in a little way can help us get out of our knees and stretch ourselves. These tips are very much helpful not only for our physical well being but also as an overall development. I'll better try these exercises t...
 (Total 97 words)
What a really nice term of “deskercises” ! Those tips in the article of trying to work out while doing our daily job seems like an interesting idea. This can lead to an increase of physical activity in our daily life. Those tips given can be applicable to anyone at work, maybe will be more beneficial for those who spend more time sitting down during their working hours. I particularly like the Tip number 3 – Flex your arms. Those “deskercises” are simple to carry out. To add some other point, I...
 (Total 108 words)
I agree that a five minute stretch at your workstation can be beneficial for those times you just cannot make it to the gym. It is very difficult to get the time from a busy schedule for exercise because after long working hours we will prefer to hit the bed. These are really good and creative ways to get a good exercise in the workplace and after that with possible minimum time. You can boost your core by sitting with your legs crossed and feet on the seat. You can improve your posture, strengt...
 (Total 112 words)