General
Increased calcium intake could reduce body weight

Increased calcium intake could reduce body weight

Shared by:

Consuming calcium supplements can lower body weight in individuals who have a normal body mass index (BMI) or in children and adolescents, adult men, or premenopausal women, according to a meta-analysis.

specialty.mims.com

25 Nov 2016 - General

Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thank you for sharing your theory on the role of calcium in weight loss. Calcium is also necessary for calcium-dependent processes such as peristalsis and better tissue contractility. It can theoretically aid in augmenting autonomic processes that will boost basal metabolic rate. Still, I am not a staunch believer of BMI as an outcome measure. Fat loss is not equal to weight loss. Weight loss ca...
 (Total 131 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thanks for adding your insights as to how calcium works in the cell to reduce fat and boost metabolism, as I was wondering about what the link could be and how calcium would play a role in this. I also agree that calcium supplementation should be taken with care, as some studies have found that it may increase the risk to heart disease, as the calcium may contribute to formation of atherosclero...
 (Total 102 words)
This is a very interesting review study. It basically focused on observational studies of both mice and men, researchers have shown that calcium stored in fat cells plays a crucial role in regulating how fat is processed and stored by the body. The more calcium there is in a fat cell, the more fat the cell will burn and the greater the weight loss. Calcium also provides small increases in thermogenesis, the body's core temperature. This may boost metabolism, which can prompt our bodies to bu...
 (Total 120 words)
Would this study mean that calcium supplements will be the next weight-loss pill? The results of this meta-analysis study are quite curious, though considering that a number of studies have been analyzed may mean that the findings may have some impact on weight management. I wonder how calcium works to decrease weight, though the study implies that supplements have to be taken for more than six months to have an effect on weight. Also, another factor to consider would be recent findings that cal...
 (Total 100 words)