General
Malpractice among pharmacists: Errors, negligence and abuse

Malpractice among pharmacists: Errors, negligence and abuse

Shared by:

By dispensing drugs, pharmacists hold within their hands the capacity to heal lives. However, when priorities are misplaced, these hands can be potentially disabling and lethal.

today.mims.com

25 Nov 2016 - General

Mahmoud AbdelAziz "The medical ethics must be mutually respected on every level. Devaluing or suspecting doctor’s advice in front of the patient is a frank breach of medical ethics." Thank you for stating what is getting more neglected - respect for each other in the allied healthcare professionals. If there are really doubts about the medication or management of someone, one should call the doctor rath...
 (Total 155 words)
Thank you all for sharing your valuable thoughts on this topic. Marinelle Castro , Mark Edmon Tan Jemelyn Mae Sodusta I would definitely prefer the mentioned platform where pharmacists respect doctors’ prescriptions with no hesitance. I have learn...
 (Total 112 words)
Lately, my friend encountered a pharmacists who questioned the doctors order. Stating that a certain medication is not allowed for the child, she even encouraged my friend to buy another brand of medication that is suited for the age of the child. She assumed that the child's age is 2 years old, for it is what she understand from the prescription pad. While in fact, the child's age was 5 years old. At first my friend didn't know why the pharmacist insisted to buy different brand of m...
 (Total 159 words)
In the Philippines, a pharmacist's job is only confined within the premises of a drug store and the only interaction they have with patients is during dispensing drugs. They are not allowed to conduct history taking of any form of physical examination on the patients. Some drugs can be acquired over the counter but there are certain medications that require a prescription such as antibiotics and those that are part of the "dangerous drugs" list. In this case, pharmacists are the on...
 (Total 123 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz I agree with what you said about pharmacists not being allowed to do physical examination on patients. In our country, it is not within the scope of practice of pharmacists to evaluate patients for diseases. It is also unprofessional to say that a lot of prescriptions are "wrong" especially if these were made by licensed professionals. I also think that the patients who allowed this f...
 (Total 117 words)
Pharmacy malpractice occurs when a pharmacist or other trained pharmacy worker breaches the standard of care that is expected of them. Today pharmacies have become more complicated applying new technologies to aid in their processes. It is the responsibility of the pharmacist to be sure that all aspects of a prescription being filled are accurate. This includes verifying who the patient is and making sure the correct dosage of the correct medication is given. One of the unacceptable practices i...
 (Total 136 words)