General
Why do placebos work?

Why do placebos work?

Shared by:

The concept of the placebo is pivotal in modern medicine. It helps to differentiate the “true” effects of medical intervention, typically pharmacological treatment, from the psychological biases that a patient may conjure in their mind while receiving treatments. Yet, oftentimes we see that its mere concept is sufficient to produce results - let's take a look at why this is so.

today.mims.com

25 Nov 2016 - General

Madhubabu kaaja
After a study made in group of people were given placebo, Experts say that there is a relationship between how strongly a person expects to have results and whether or not results occur. The stronger the feeling, the more likely it is that a person will experience positive effects. There may be a profound effect due to the interaction between a patient and health care provider.
The same ap...
 (Total 220 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing this post about placebos and nocebos. Like Priscilla Mae Gobuyan , this is the first time I have heard of nocebo. Anticipation of a noxious stimuli could indeed heighten the sensation and this is seen in patients with chronic pain (also known as hyperpathia). Placebos apparently activate system...
 (Total 147 words)
What a great input! I never heard about nocebo effect not until I found this article. Placebo as mainly targeting for symptom improvement has really no further clinical evidences to treat the underlying pathophysiology of the disease. Rather as being said, it is more of relieving the physical symptoms. It's because there is participation and proper mind setting from the patient being given by the pill. This needs furthermore research about the effects of the placebo pill. As to the nocebo, a...
 (Total 107 words)
There are several studies about the placebo effect in individuals and it has been observed that placebo effect is produced in most of the cases. Although it is a false state of well being or it is also called as physical deterioration that arises from inert substances but many patients claim that they have improved their medical condition. Most of the placebo cases only alter the symptomatic manifestation of a disease and don’t affect the underlying pathophysiology. Placebo effect is produced th...
 (Total 124 words)