General
Pressuring a partner into pregnancy – a form of domestic violence

Pressuring a partner into pregnancy – a form of domestic violence

Shared by:

In the act of reproductive coercion, abusive individuals intentionally break their own condoms, sabotage birth control methods or threaten to leave the relationship – to force partners to become pregnant.

today.mims.com

27 Nov 2016 - General

Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thanks for sharing your research study on this matter. Unfortunately we still belong in a patriarchal society, wherein domestic violence is still common. Do you have many respondents? I was wondering regarding the incidence of reproductive coercion in our own country. I agree that women should know their rates, and being married does not remove our rights to making autonomous decisions when i...
 (Total 132 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz thank you for sharing this article to be discussed, it is my first time to hear about pregnancy coercion, in my opinion no one is forced to be in relationship that don't comprise the actual meaning of it, what ever the kind of the relationship.
As mentioned in the article, not just women are the victims but also men.
Most of us think that getting pregnant is just hard and responsibil...
 (Total 140 words)
I've heard this many times--men forcing their partners to get pregnant before marriage--and I think it's sad. For me I think it's like they're trying to make sure the woman can get pregnant before they commit or they want a reason to settle down with the woman, but if she doesn't get pregnant, he will look the other side. If not that, you will hear about men forcing or pressuring women to use contraceptives. I think this is awful, that men abuse the power they have over women...
 (Total 117 words)
This is a nice topic to discussed. I wanted to share about my experiences when i interviewed some women who undergone domestic violence. I conducted a research study about women who experienced domestic violence as one of our requirements to comply. My research study was done last 2011 and had only a limited number of respondents. Respondents are taken from Womens Desk. However, it was proven (only in my research) that money, and influence of alcohol can cause physical and psychological/emotiona...
 (Total 143 words)
This is also first time I've heard about pregnancy coercion. It's just like it has no big difference than raping someone or forcing someone to do coitus forcefully. This is also being classified into domestic violence and to my surprise pregnancy coercion is also applicable to men. I wonder how possible could that even be when the most aggravated and victime here will be most likely the women being impregnated. Conceiving a child should be a shared decision from two married couples and e...
 (Total 152 words)
In addition to what I have said, I got curious and searched the net regarding this topic. I would just like to share that according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, a group that strongly advocates this cause, domestic violence is defined as the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another. It includes physical violence, sex...
 (Total 130 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz This is the first time I have heard of pregnancy coercion being defined as abuse. Marriage and partnership should be about mutual respect. There are 2 components of the conjugal act in Catholic values: unitive and procreative. It is intended to unite couples with the fruit being the conception of a new person. If one pushes the issue of procreating and the other does not want procreation, then t...
 (Total 155 words)
Domestic violence has a broader concept than physical or verbal abuse. Some countries have enlisted forced pregnancies to the list of domestic abuse. Both men and women can fall victims to this. I am aware this might be common in certain cultures but this clearly can carry long term psychological suffering or unwanted burden for those new parents who didn’t feel actively participant in this life changing decision. The decision to have a baby into this tough world must be mutually taken by both p...
 (Total 117 words)