General
Are your patients fit for surgery?

Are your patients fit for surgery?

Shared by:

What should you consider when assessing your patients’ readiness and fitness for surgeries?

today.mims.com

27 Nov 2016 - General

Mahmoud AbdelAziz here are some tips to follow before surgery:
Pre-op is the time before your surgery. It means "before operation." During this time, you will meet with one of your doctors. This may be your surgeon or primary care doctor:

This checkup usually needs to be done within the month before surgery. This gives your doctors time to treat any medical problems you may have before your...
 (Total 173 words)
An adequate pre-operative risk assessment is an important step to achieve a successful surgical procedure. For elective surgeries, this is usually done on an outpatient basis. In our institution, to ensure adequacy of a pre-operative evaluation, patients are routinely sent to an office called APEC (Anesthesia Pre-operative Evaluation Clinic), wherein designated anesthetists assess if the patient's preoperative assessment is already adequate. If they have further suggestions, the patient'...
 (Total 109 words)
Patients’ fitness for a surgical operation is a very important factor to be considered prior to any surgery. Clinically unfit patients will have higher risk intra-operative risks, and post operative complications. Usually, a thorough clinical assessment will be required prior to surgery. Patients with cardio-respiratory diseases may potential required the sub-specialty input prior to any major surgery. Anaesthetic team will always be the gatekeeper to assess all the patients before considering t...
 (Total 134 words)
Heading into surgery may be toxic for some and needs extensive work up prior to it. Regardless of age and what kind of surgery you are trying to undergo, it is a must to be physically, emotionally and clinically be fit. Mentally fit that you are knowledgeable with the procedure, your disease process and condition and what do you need to expect pre and post surgery. Clinically fit wherein you body numbers is ready to undergo such surgery, electrolytes, cbc if you need some blood requests, sugar a...
 (Total 143 words)
Just a few weeks ago I had a patient needing minor surgery of an impacted third molar. He's over sixty, so I immediately requested for medical clearance. He insisted that he's healthy. He even said that he's just had a medical and was presenting to me figures, but I explained that it's better to be certain so I will need clearance from his doctor before I work on him. Guess what? He wasn't cleared for surgery because his blood sugar is high. The doctor said they'll have t...
 (Total 162 words)
Cardiovascular complications are one of the most common dreadful events that patients encounter during surgery. Before undergoing a surgical procedure, the surgeon routinely refers the patient to a cardiologist and pulmonologist for evaluation and cardiopulmonary clearance. The pre-operative evaluation will allow the surgeon and anesthesiologist to be prepared so that individualized surgical care can be given to a patient's specific medical needs. The goal is to to determine the status of th...
 (Total 124 words)
Pre-surgical checkups and preparations are mandatory and life saving for the majority of patients. When a patient is scheduled for surgery, the patient is contacted before the procedure and given either verbal or written instructions as to how to prepare for the surgery. This may be done by staff from the surgeon's office or staff at the institution where the surgery will be performed. The article has mentioned a very good check list of different systemic disorders that may disqualify your p...
 (Total 117 words)