General
6 Reasons You Should Stop Showering Every Day, According To Science

6 Reasons You Should Stop Showering Every Day, According To Science

Shared by:

Showers work like coffee for some, providing the stimulation it takes to wake up and start the day. Other people use them to wind down and relax after a tough day or difficult workout. But according to dermatologist Dr. Ranella Hirsch in an article f

www.bustle.com

27 Nov 2016 - General

Chih Chiang Nieh Thank you for sharing your sentiments and medical opinion about this article. I agree that the author has no scientific basis concerning the article's claims. Mentioning sources such as two dermatologists instead of studies speaks a lot of how the author has meticulously researched the topic. We are not even sure if the sources do really exist. Moreover, I agree that people should not read a...
 (Total 137 words)
Dewi Tina Showering twice a day is a good practice and everyone should make it a habit. There is one thing that we have failed to discuss with showering though - exfoliating, loofah/ whatever-stone-for-scrubbing, and the use of body scrubbing products. Using these products once a week is a good way to exfoliate the top layer of the skin ( no such thing as dead skin). However, using them everyday posts problems sinc...
 (Total 130 words)
Jennifer Winter Thank you for sharing your opinion. Great to hear from you again in the MIMS community by the way! It is totally gross to skip shower. I could not even fathom somebody not taking shower in our country because one literally sweats just by sitting down in an area without air conditioner. The author is clearly not a fan of shower. If one can cite that reason "you are not even dirty" to just...
 (Total 134 words)
You Yi Hong I agree with you in saying that most of the reasons are not really valid. One is too superficial even. Everyone has a different take on showering but the comments in this section goes to show that Asians really practice good personal hygiene. You are right in saying that showering does not necessarily equate to water wasting if we do not mindlessly shower for more than 10 minutes. The "you are no...
 (Total 152 words)
Marinelle Castro Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the author's perspective is quite hilarious. I really laughed hard when she said that showering daily can ruin manicure. Apparently, this is more concern than some people than maintaining personal hygiene. I agree with you that showering is a need in the Philippines. We need at least 2 showers on most days because it is really humid in the country. Most...
 (Total 130 words)
Interesting article of NOT to shower every day. Would agree with Marinelle Castro that is actually funny. I would say people who are not keen to shower everyday will be much delighted with it. Some of the reasons given are not really valid. I may agree to some certain extend with regards to the point of prevent the waste of water. But, if we are careful in showering, and don’t let the water just run through exce...
 (Total 127 words)
Thank you for sharing this topic Mark Edmon Tan It was actually funny. Perhaps people shower for different reasons. I guess the one who wrote the article only showers when he/she is dirty. Although, I also believe that everyone should conserve water, I don't think that anyone should skip shower to do so. There are plenty of ways to conserve water AND to maintain one's personal hygiene. In a tropical coun...
 (Total 113 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Thank you for sharing with us this interesting story. I could not believe that one could feel all sweaty and dirty all day yet elect to skip shower when it is readily accessible. She must be really tired to ignore the sticky feeling. This would be worse than playing one full game of basketball and then going to sleep without even bothering to shower.Collapsing into the bed after an exhaustin...
 (Total 144 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this topic. i agree with you in the need to take a shower once getting home from work. It would be extremely irresponsible if one overlooks the possibilty of carrying pathogenic strains yet become lazy to take a bath. I do not think it is an issue in our country since the weather makes us sweaty. I would be really surprised if I meet someone who habitu...
 (Total 141 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the topic.I share the same sentiment with you in not believing all health articles. This would even end up in all social media accounts and naive people may become victims of misinformation. Daily showers are absolutely necessary especially when one works inside the hospital or lives in tropical countries. It is good that you pointed out the many benefit...
 (Total 135 words)
HAHAHA. This week I was in a medical-dental mission in the mountains and I was with this woman. So we had a busy day in the field and we were all tired, and at the end of the day, she changed her clothes and slept. I was so grateful I had the twin bed and she shared a double with another woman. I can't believe she was able to sleep without cleaning herself after a sweaty and dirty day in the mountains. I would understand not showering if you didn't do so much the whole day, sometimes I&#...
 (Total 161 words)
I think this is not applicable to all healthcare providers. This is mainly because we are the first person who are actually exposed to such pathogens which can be transferrable to our loved ones. I don't know if this kind of hygiene was adapted by those who have a cold or winter season. I wonder how all healthcare providers manage that season. Will they skip taking a shower or not? Nevertheless, here in our country skipping a shower will surely made you feel sticky due to our weather. And i ...
 (Total 116 words)
I have to strongly disagree with this article. Actually, this kind of articles is one of the reasons that make me not necessarily believe any article claims it is “according to science”. I personally have to shower at least 3 times a day mainly due to the hot and humid weather of Malaysia. These showers don’t have full ones. Just washing off with plain water can effectively refresh oneself. On the other hand, I would understand less frequent showers in cold weathers. There are other published s...
 (Total 110 words)
Since it is a Sunday, I would like to share a light medical topic. The topic is about showering and its effects on medical health. A little disclaimer before anyone passes on judgment. I could not stand skipping shower for a day. I usually bathe 2x a day because of the hot, humid condition in the Philippines and of the need to wash off possible pathogens I take from the hospital to our home. I feel that this article is written without the impression of the existence of temperate regions. Noneth...
 (Total 161 words)