General
Orphan drugs - Exactly how much of a financial burden are these?

Orphan drugs - Exactly how much of a financial burden are these?

Shared by:

The price tag of orphan drugs has been known to raise quite a few eyebrows - given the drugs are developed to treat ultra-rare diseases, it is not surprising that pharmaceutical companies will charge premium prices to ensure a healthy return-of-investment on their products. So how much do these truly cost?

today.mims.com

28 Nov 2016 - General

Madhubabu kaaja It is great to hear someone with extensive knowledge share his information to everyone. Thank you for sharing us how it works in the pharmaceutical industry as it made me appreciate this article more. The process of making, marketing, and getting approval for a drug is indeed a long and tedious process. No wonder pharmaceutical companies are really pushing for profit because of the time and money s...
 (Total 148 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Priscilla Mae Gobuyan Sometimes it takes more than 20 years also. A drug journey start from computer aided drug design, lead identification, drug synthesis, preclinical trials in animal models, Clinical trial in human subjects and application and review process a total 20 years or more. Clinical trials take minimum ...
 (Total 240 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Please excuse my ignorance on this topic. It is more complex than the article suggests. Thank you for showing us the broad picture of how hard it is to manufacture and seek approval of an innovator drug. I have a lot of questions lingering in my mind. Does it take that long (20 years) to make a drug available as an innovator brand? How long does the clinical trials last? I did not know that innova...
 (Total 135 words)
Mark Edmon Tan frankly speaking about prices of an innovator is very high even some times rich patients cannot afford it like cancer, hypertension, diabetes treating drugs, that to orphan drug means expecting release into market with more price. Orphan drugs have special market exclusivity of additional 2 years with regular 5 years exclusivity from the date of approval, whatever this time is sufficient to cover ...
 (Total 154 words)
It breaks my heart to see articles like these. The Orphan Drug Act was supposed to make medicines for ultra-rare diseases become eventually available and affordable for everyone. As expected, businessmen leveraged this act to make excessive profit instead of fulfilling its intended purpose. 7 out of 10 of the topselling drugs are under the Orphan Drug Act. It is such a shame that a few people think of their own personal gain by compromising the health situation of many. I hope that the companies...
 (Total 104 words)