General

What is the best piece of advice you have ever received at work?

Created by:

28 Nov 2016 - General

They say that “Sharing is caring” – so share with us the best advice you’ve ever received from any colleague, senior or mentor that has helped you tremendously in your career, and pass it on to your peers and students here. You never know how these sage pieces of advice might one day change their lives too.

I once did an attachment with a GP who truly embodied the essence of 'to comfort always'. A foreign worker had come in complaining of right index finger pain, but on inspection the finger appeared completely normal, no tenderness, and had full range of motion. The GP proceeded to spend the next 5 minutes intently examining his seemingly normal finger while having light conversation with the patient through a language barrier. At the end of it he said to me: "It does not matter if th...
 (Total 117 words)
'If you are afraid to be scolded for asking advice on things you are unsure of, remind yourself that you are doing it for the patients' best interest.'

Doctors in the public hospitals can be extremely busy, sometimes they really do not have the time to entertain the juniors. They may be pretty toxic, intentionally or not, and respond to your need for guidance negatively, or even just scold you for not knowing. Some junior doctors may be reluctant to bother their seniors, af...
 (Total 199 words)
I agree very much with what Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan said below. Most of the pharmacists I've known are perfectionist in nature. And true enough that we can't please everyone. I was once a persistent to accomplish each and every task given to me to perfection. There was once that my senior enlighten me and told me that perfectionism would be the biggest barrier to progression. Hence, we will have to be good in doing benefit-risk analysis. We just have to justify for the benefits ove...
 (Total 103 words)
The driving principle for a doctor should only be dedication with no mal intent, upholding the "DO NO HARM". Being a doctor means a life long service to the community in any way, be it curing,caring,mentoring, counselling or training. All of these bring immense satisfaction and pleasure to a committed person, and makes life worth cherishing. Pass on a smile to someone you see without one. If you see someone without a smile give him one of yours. Stay active physically and mentally and ...
 (Total 94 words)
"If the patient is not dying, go eat!"

This advice came from a senior I was working with while doing my internship in a chaotically busy medical ward, with work shifts extending up to 36 hours on some days. The patients admitted mostly had chronic diseases with multiple organ failure and highly at risk for collapse and resuscitation.

It may seem like a simple and straightforward advice, but for workaholic like me with occasional severe acute gastritis and hypoglycaemi...
 (Total 82 words)
I would say that the best piece of advice I’ve received at work is that “You can’t please everyone.” As health care professionals, we are trained to do the best we can in every task, because just a simple error can cause harm or even take a patient’s life. Because of this, we aim to get every task perfect, or at least done to the best we can, yet at times, this may not be enough for the people around us — be it colleagues, patients, superiors, or the people we serve. We can’t always please every...
 (Total 126 words)
This advice came from my first mentor in medical career - my uncle who is a general surgeon. He told me that "You cannot please everybody" before entering medical school. I did not fully appreciate what he said at that time because it was irrelevant. Everybody was chums in medical school. I realized that his important message was meant for clinical practice when I became medical clerk and proceeded on to medical career. In the workplace, there are a lot of different personalities and n...
 (Total 127 words)
I guess while we are growing in the career, we find ourselves in constant need for an honest, practical and sincere advice. However, I find one piece of advice that meant the most and has a life-long impact on me. There was one decent professor who used to remind us about the moral of being a doctor. “You should always remember the humanitarian nature of being a doctor. You as a doctor will be one of the means of God to heal peoples’ sufferings. That is why you should never treat patients as pap...
 (Total 123 words)
I have received several advice over the years as many mentors are fond of teaching and sharing their wisdom. The need to practice is a very common advice but I believe it to be a very important one in surgery. It may seem simple but it is necessary to do well in this field. Another very good advice is to love the fact that there are patients. We should never be negative about having a full ER because without patients we cannot learn. A positive approach in life is always needed as you won't ...
 (Total 97 words)
Community Manager one of my professors one told me when he noticed that I'm overthinking and worry,"let everything come to you, don't run for it".
He meant that I should concentrate on myself trying to improve and work on it and satisfy it with knowledge and skills then I'll get what I want, instead of losing my energy in worrying and overthinking.
That advice i took and apply it in ...
 (Total 108 words)