General

What is the best piece of advice you have ever received at work?

Created by:

28 Nov 2016 - General

They say that “Sharing is caring” – so share with us the best advice you’ve ever received from any colleague, senior or mentor that has helped you tremendously in your career, and pass it on to your peers and students here. You never know how these sage pieces of advice might one day change their lives too.

I had a lot of apprehension when there was a recent change of superior. The superior stepping down told me that I do not have to agree with the new superior. I just need to accommodate. By accommodating, it means that you do not always have to win...
 (Total 75 words)
I once did an attachment with a GP who truly embodied the essence of 'to comfort always'. A foreign worker had come in complaining of right index finger pain, but on inspection the finger appeared completely normal, no tenderness, and had ful...
 (Total 117 words)
'If you are afraid to be scolded for asking advice on things you are unsure of, remind yourself that you are doing it for the patients' best interest.'

Doctors in the public hospitals can be extremely busy, sometimes they really...
 (Total 199 words)
I agree very much with what Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan said below. Most of the pharmacists I've known are perfectionist in nature. And true enough that we can't please everyone. I was once a persistent to accomplish each and every task giv...
 (Total 103 words)
The driving principle for a doctor should only be dedication with no mal intent, upholding the "DO NO HARM". Being a doctor means a life long service to the community in any way, be it curing,caring,mentoring, counselling or training. All o...
 (Total 94 words)
During junior year of working, tons of things need to be catched up. At some point, you'll reach your limit and have mental breakdown.

My nurse educator asked me to wash my face and clean up a bit. She said, "don't be easily dem...
 (Total 54 words)
I made a blunder at work and had to go explain to my boss what happened. He listened without judging, then he told me...

"I'd rather keep a staff who has made a mistake and learns from it, than to sack the staff for making the mista...
 (Total 72 words)
"If the patient is not dying, go eat!"

This advice came from a senior I was working with while doing my internship in a chaotically busy medical ward, with work shifts extending up to 36 hours on some days. The patients admitted mo...
 (Total 82 words)
This is an advice from my colleague where i am still starting my career in the field which really help me with my career. It is "Don't lose your patience even if others are." I know how strong those words are. As a nurse, it needs alot ...
 (Total 90 words)
I would say that the best piece of advice I’ve received at work is that “You can’t please everyone.” As health care professionals, we are trained to do the best we can in every task, because just a simple error can cause harm or even take a patient’s...
 (Total 126 words)
A renowned professor once told me that by teaching, you will be able to help more people than by seeing patients personally. And this has inspired me to take on the task of being an educator. This rekindle the flame and passion for me to teach and nu...
 (Total 51 words)
This advice came from my first mentor in medical career - my uncle who is a general surgeon. He told me that "You cannot please everybody" before entering medical school. I did not fully appreciate what he said at that time because it was i...
 (Total 127 words)
I guess while we are growing in the career, we find ourselves in constant need for an honest, practical and sincere advice. However, I find one piece of advice that meant the most and has a life-long impact on me. There was one decent professor who u...
 (Total 123 words)
I have received several advice over the years as many mentors are fond of teaching and sharing their wisdom. The need to practice is a very common advice but I believe it to be a very important one in surgery. It may seem simple but it is necessary t...
 (Total 97 words)
Community Manager one of my professors one told me when he noticed that I'm overthinking and worry,"let everything come to you, don't run for it".
He meant that I shou...
 (Total 108 words)