General
Terminally anorexic patient granted right to starve to death in the US

Terminally anorexic patient granted right to starve to death in the US

Shared by:

Weighing only 30kg, a patient with severe anorexia has been granted the request for end-of-life care by the Superior Court Judge, who determined that she was mentally competent to consent.

today.mims.com

28 Nov 2016 - General

This is a very sad story for the patient. The illness could be really psychiatrically debilitating for her to decide to stop eating and starve to death. Ethical considerations have been thoroughly discussed and I have to say that this is not euthanasia. Instead, it is known as allowing to die which is considered ethical (unless changes have been made). The patient is mentally competent to make a decision on how to best manage her condition and she made the choice to not eat. The doctors have to ...
 (Total 126 words)
This is just one horible story I've ever read. I used to read about anorexia nervosa during classes and some of my classmates tease others having the condition of having a strict meal plan. Not until now never did I realized that this can be this horrifying serious. Yes right we never force the woman to have forced feeding if this does not go along their will. Their human rights of having autonomy being able to decide for themselves provided with a sound judgement will be violated. However g...
 (Total 132 words)
I have always felt very concerned with anorexia because it is always tagged with a sad story. I mean, for a person to succumb to starvation because of issues they have with their body? The struggle to get to that point must have been truly awful and damaging. Anyway, this story is just quite sad really. But I agree, her case is terminal and force-feeding may not do her any good at all. Restraining her may injure her and that would be quite abusive, in my opinion. I think she should just be made ...
 (Total 117 words)
This is a controversial ethical issue that merits discussion. In my opinion, the principle of double effect should apply in this case wherein the act of "force-feeding" is justifiable because it is for the overall good of the patient. Of course, respecting the patient's autonomy is very important, but in this case, the patient has an established mental health illness, which incapacitates her from making sound decisions for herself. If the clinician thinks that force-feedings would ...
 (Total 122 words)
Superior Court Judge has permitted the 29-year-old women the right to refuse the treatment by forced feedings and granted the request for end of life care. She was diagnosed anorexia nervosa at the age of 13 and she was forcefully fed for 14 years. Anorexia nervosa is one of the most common disorders that is potentially life threatening with 5 % to 20 % mortality rate. She was admitted to the New Jersey Hospital for two years and transferred to palliative care unit to which the state argued she ...
 (Total 117 words)