General
Terminally anorexic patient granted right to starve to death in the US

Terminally anorexic patient granted right to starve to death in the US

Shared by:

Weighing only 30kg, a patient with severe anorexia has been granted the request for end-of-life care by the Superior Court Judge, who determined that she was mentally competent to consent.

today.mims.com

28 Nov 2016 - General

This is a very sad story for the patient. The illness could be really psychiatrically debilitating for her to decide to stop eating and starve to death. Ethical considerations have been thoroughly discussed and I have to say that this is not euthanas...
 (Total 126 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan. I have also read this first time through this post. It makes me very sad when I think about her, she is young but she is unable to live like us, like normal people. T...
 (Total 39 words)
This is just one horible story I've ever read. I used to read about anorexia nervosa during classes and some of my classmates tease others having the condition of having a strict meal plan. Not until now never did I realized that this can be this...
 (Total 132 words)
Terminally anorexic patients granted right to starve to death in the US, I am sure that depends on the state right? But if the patient is of sound mind and deemed able to have the mental capacity to make decision, it should be allowed, in the similar...
 (Total 73 words)
As she has mental illness so it is difficult for her to decide about her treatment so the best option is parenteral nutrition for the patient Madhubabu kaaja. I don't think so death is t...
 (Total 42 words)
I have always felt very concerned with anorexia because it is always tagged with a sad story. I mean, for a person to succumb to starvation because of issues they have with their body? The struggle to get to that point must have been truly awful and ...
 (Total 117 words)
ANorexia nervosa restricts body to take food and in extreme cases doctors doctors can do forceful feeding also. But this case is very typical and not understanding and is relatively new for me. Court accepted her pledge not to take food until her dea...
 (Total 71 words)
This is a controversial ethical issue that merits discussion. In my opinion, the principle of double effect should apply in this case wherein the act of "force-feeding" is justifiable because it is for the overall good of the patient. Of co...
 (Total 122 words)
Superior Court Judge has permitted the 29-year-old women the right to refuse the treatment by forced feedings and granted the request for end of life care. She was diagnosed anorexia nervosa at the age of 13 and she was forcefully fed for 14 years. A...
 (Total 117 words)