General
Improving risk literacy in patients with visual aids for better informed decisions

Improving risk literacy in patients with visual aids for better informed decisions

Shared by:

Researchers have developed a "benefit-risk characterisation theatre" and found that patients understand information better when it is presented visually compared to numerical statistical data.

today.mims.com

28 Nov 2016 - General

In my views, it is the best and latest choice by the doctors in order to better educate patients and their family members about the diagnosis, treatment response patterns and different ways of treatment. Visual displays can efficiently overcome the communication boundaries between physician and patient and these are helpful for both patient and doctor. The doctor has eased in elaborating treatment-related information and patients have also ease in understanding what the doctor is saying because ...
 (Total 103 words)
Visual aids definitely stands alone in the effective utilization for better communication than any other communication mode. Poor numerical ability some times leading to a poor patient compliance which is reported in this article to which I am agreeing. In those situation graphical representation is a good method than compared to numerical statistical data. Visualization is good but not best the ultimate decision reserved to patient acceptance to which comfortable. Thanking you for providing a ...
 (Total 77 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Unfortunately, we do not have any credible literature on our country's data on medical literacy. However, I would have to assume that this is lower than that of US. Based from experience, using visual aids really help a lot in establishing a good communication with patients and relatives. Most of the time, my visual aid is the CT scan or the MRI itself. I usually liken the CT scan ...
 (Total 125 words)
I think visual aids are a good idea, as many patients may not really be able to grasp the ideas presented by their physician or health care provider. Many people are more visually inclined, as compared to when numbers or words are presented. Plus, this should not only be limited to risks, but also when explaining other things such as pathophysiology and how their medicine works to treat their condition. Visual aids can also be more time-effective, especially when consultation time is limited to ...
 (Total 108 words)