General

MEN and Their MACHO Attitude About Treatment

Created by:

28 Nov 2016 - General

Well, this is a generalized thing really. What's true is that men and women, of any age, are afraid of being ill. I mean, who wants to be told they're sick? 

But I grew up to a military father who refused to treatment until he was really sick. He was a military man and he was a macho man, so he would never admit illness/weakness. 

Anyway, I was in the mountains last week for a mission and I was with the military. The final field day was cancelled because of the typhoon, so we held a medical/dental mission for the troops instead. Anyway, most of the men said they're okay. NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME--so it all sounded so familiar. Even for the simple dental checkup, they would look at me and say, "I don't have a dental problem" instead of just opening their mouths and letting me see for myself. 

Men are funny. Their macho image will get them intro trouble and they don't care. What are your experiences with this?

Marinelle Castro That is a funny story. I share the same experience about big, muscular men and their aversion to needles. I have seen big men who are afraid of being pricked to measure the...
 (Total 88 words)
Oh that's an interesting story Marinelle. But men surely are afraid to show weakness, even if it means they have to deal with the consequences and complications of their illness. It's quite sad, really, because it doesn't do them any good...
 (Total 41 words)
I can relate well to this because displaying such "macho image" is very common among Filipino men. I remember several instances when I was having my internship as a medical technologist in one of the busiest public hospitals in the country....
 (Total 157 words)