General
Nurses, these 9 habits could ruin your sleep

Nurses, these 9 habits could ruin your sleep

Shared by:

Most of us battle with sleep on some days. But for nurses who work long hours and rotating shifts, sleep gets fragmented, and getting a good snooze can be an everyday battle.

today.mims.com

29 Nov 2016 - General

During those times when I suffered from insomnia and only got to sleep when morning came, I had to invest in really heavy window blinds that could block out natural light so I could catch up on sleep during the day. I also found that working on my laptop late at night really messed up with my ability to fall asleep. There were times that I would spend hours lying awake in bed and get frustrated that I couldn’t sleep. If you need to work on your laptop late into the night, I recommend an app call...
 (Total 124 words)
Waah! Really huh, oversleeping on day offs can never replace what have been lost during the previous days. Seems like I've been practicing the wrong way after all. I really lack of sleep most of the time especially during duty days and more than often tend to sleep as much as I can during holidays. Maan! Such a myth afterall and even disrupting my sleeping pattern even more. That I didn't know about. However we nurses have this kind of superpower to sleep wherever we are and in whatever ...
 (Total 175 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing tips on how to improve sleep hygiene. As healthcare professionals, we alternate sleep cycle patterns often to accommodate hectic schedules, duties, and deadlines. The tips given will surely aid in promoting sleep. Exercise is proven to induce sleep especially for the elderly. Using gadgets at bedtime is one of the most common culprits in today's time to prevent sleep. Ligh...
 (Total 188 words)
Tahira Nawaz Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Maria Cristina Inserto thanking you for your most valuable inputs and comments on this topic. Food, sleep time, caffein are major concerns for sleepiness. This article useful to all HCPs. Physical exercise gives ene...
 (Total 75 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh oh doctor how you maintaining with 2 hr. Share some useful tip for me and our fellow HCPs. Sleeping pills not at all encouraged to get sleep, we should try it as naturally. As You Yi Hong told super late night not good for our health we should manage our activities as early as possible. And we should not use gad...
 (Total 67 words)
Madhubabu kaaja very interesting article, I'm reading this article searching for any point that I don't do, good that I found may be one or two, now I figured why I never had a good sleep and always complain about headache, muscle pain and week immunity.
I have to control my self better than that or I will get aged earlier.
It is my good luck that till now I didn't do any crucial accident at wo...
 (Total 110 words)
Haha I have to admit I am only sleeping about 2-4 hours a day, but generally speaking when one is in deep sleep, there is always a good chance to rejuvenate better than people who are light sleepers. There are 4 stages of sleep together with REM - rapid eye movement phase. The period where we dream is called REM sleep. The older we get, the proportion of 4th stage - deep sleep in our sleep reduces and that is the reason why elderly patients commonly complain of insomnia. But sleeping pills is de...
 (Total 108 words)
Having sufficient sleeping time is very important. This article has shown the 9 bad habits that may result in poor quality of sleep. Personally, I don’t think having supper late night will be a good idea. Eating before our sleeping time will impair our sleeping quality. With regards to coffee/caffeine intake, I think we should avoid it after the evening period, to ensure our sleeping won’t be delayed because of caffeine. Regular exercise regimen will be helpful to improve the quality of sleep as...
 (Total 116 words)
To be honest, it's really not easy to avoid all the things on the list. As much as I can, I eat very light at night, but there are tiring days when you just want to be comforted by food. And then there's caffeine. Although I try to avoid having coffee in the late afternoon and night, I cannot avoid it sometimes, especially when I am craving for its taste. Then of course here goes artificial lighting and the use of gadgets--this is something I cannot keep out of my system. So yes, at the ...
 (Total 133 words)
This article is not only applicable to nurses, but to everyone as well. Definitely, consumption of stimulants prior to bedtime is a big no-no. A lot of people are not aware that their drinks and food contain caffeine. Some people have the habit of drinking sodas at dinnertime and they end up having difficulties initiating sleep. Personally, I have had chronic sleeping problems because of poor sleeping habits, disturbed circadian rhythm because I am always on-call, and simply like working at nigh...
 (Total 107 words)
A better sleep is necessary for best workplace performance especially for nurses who have to work for longer duration and needs active mind and body to perform. It is necessary to overcome the habits that can disturb your sleep. This is a useful article that has highlighted few habits to avoid having profound sleep. The habits that must be avoided are eating too much before sleeping, drinking alcohol to get sleep, caffeine and nicotine intake close to bedtime, use of artificial lighting, neglect...
 (Total 108 words)