General
Study finds 82% of doctors prescribe or perform unnecessary treatments

Study finds 82% of doctors prescribe or perform unnecessary treatments

Shared by:

Dutch researchers have drawn up a list of 1,366 treatments that are unnecessary and not scientifically proven to be effective. Similarly in the UK, it was found that 82% of doctors prescribed or performed a treatment they knew was unnecessary.

today.mims.com

29 Nov 2016 - General

Stumbled over this discussion when I saw that the article was part of the most read list. If there is no reason to give the medication don't give it. I am a very strong advocate to proper antibiotic use. A lot of times we prescribe antibiotics to infections that is clearly viral because A. it might not be B. they can get a concomitant bacterial infection later C. so the patient won't feel like we are not properly treating them. I try to keep my list of drugs minimal. When I end up writi...
 (Total 113 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Shunjie Chua Nor Hidayah Zainool abidin thanking you for expressing your interest and experiences on the topic. It is quite increase the use of unnecessary drugs by majority of physicians. It may be due to improper knowledge o...
 (Total 139 words)
i definitely agree with the study. in fact this has been happening rampantly in GP clinic especially when it is run by locum doctor. to tell the truth most locum doctor are newly finish housemanship. they straight away doing locum without adequate knowledge and information to treat patient in primary care setting. some patient received treatment which sources was taken from peers opinions and also some do refer to internet. Hoping that treatment given in GP should be included in morbidity audit ...
 (Total 93 words)
Madhubabu kaaja i'm really shocked, how there are healthcare professionals that for any reason, gaining money or even for a common sense diagnosis, prescribe medications without giving attention that they load the patients with expenses and affect the availability of medications with making losses to the government.
They even didn't think how and what the patients did to get the money for treatment.  (Total 103 words)
Sometimes, people’s mentality also play a part in inciting physicians to prescribe unnecessary treatments. Usually, after being examined by a doctor, a patient expects that the doctor would then recommend a drug or a procedure to be done. Patients who walk away from a doctor’s office without any prescription usually have thus perception that the doctor couldn’t do anything to treat their ailment. Worse, some may think that the doctor is incompetent if they didn’t prescribe any medication and jus...
 (Total 120 words)
The textbooks are absolute. The clinical practice guidelines are absolute too. However, the anatomy of the human body, clinical presentation of illness, and response to treatment are not absolute. This is why there are second-line treatment that serve as back-ups when first-line treatments are not working. I agree with Marinelle Castro that we have to see the patient and not just the illness because no two patien...
 (Total 120 words)
Marinelle Castro thanking you for your comments. Our body is very complex and unable to understand by scientist and other HCPs till now. The unknown microorganisms, internal, external and unknown factors making body diseased. To understand the mode is sometimes difficult at any level of diagnosis. Sometimes alternative regimens proposing for the better hope for condition. No two brains thinks a like in treating a...
 (Total 88 words)
I remember one of my mentors who advised that the lack of evidence is not an evidence in itself. Evidence-based practice is very important because we can provide metrics and statistical data with regards to treatment success and failure. We can also provide pertinent information such as expected side effects, adverse side effect that are based on studies that provide high level evidence. However, despite the numerous papers and guidelines that have been published, there are some treatments that ...
 (Total 156 words)