General
Study finds 82% of doctors prescribe or perform unnecessary treatments

Study finds 82% of doctors prescribe or perform unnecessary treatments

Shared by:

Dutch researchers have drawn up a list of 1,366 treatments that are unnecessary and not scientifically proven to be effective. Similarly in the UK, it was found that 82% of doctors prescribed or performed a treatment they knew was unnecessary.

today.mims.com

29 Nov 2016 - General

Stumbled over this discussion when I saw that the article was part of the most read list. If there is no reason to give the medication don't give it. I am a very strong advocate to proper antibiotic use. A lot of times we prescribe antibiotics to...
 (Total 113 words)
I'd like to agree that some doctors tend to prescribe unnecessary medications. There was a time where my father was prescribed of plenty of medications. And because of that my father complained, where urges my mother to asked from another doctor...
 (Total 79 words)
Great to have the chance to read the comments of everyone. Excessive treatments are just like a most problems in medicine a multifactorial one. I agree with Lianne’s point about patients. I have personally seen many patients who have a expectation fo...
 (Total 65 words)
i definitely agree with the study. in fact this has been happening rampantly in GP clinic especially when it is run by locum doctor. to tell the truth most locum doctor are newly finish housemanship. they straight away doing locum without adequate kn...
 (Total 93 words)
Madhubabu kaaja i'm really shocked, how there are healthcare professionals that for any reason, gaining money or even for a common sense diagnosis, prescribe medications without giving ...
 (Total 103 words)
Sometimes, people’s mentality also play a part in inciting physicians to prescribe unnecessary treatments. Usually, after being examined by a doctor, a patient expects that the doctor would then recommend a drug or a procedure to be done. Patients wh...
 (Total 120 words)
The textbooks are absolute. The clinical practice guidelines are absolute too. However, the anatomy of the human body, clinical presentation of illness, and response to treatment are not absolute. This is why there are second-line treatment that serv...
 (Total 120 words)
Marinelle Castro thanking you for your comments. Our body is very complex and unable to understand by scientist and other HCPs till now. The unknown microorganisms, internal, external and u...
 (Total 88 words)
I remember one of my mentors who advised that the lack of evidence is not an evidence in itself. Evidence-based practice is very important because we can provide metrics and statistical data with regards to treatment success and failure. We can also ...
 (Total 156 words)