General
One-third of patients expect antibiotics from GPs in Singapore

One-third of patients expect antibiotics from GPs in Singapore

Shared by:

A study from Singapore revealed that as many of two-thirds of patients who visit GP clinics do not know that antibiotics do not work against viruses, and expect doctors to prescribe them with the medication.

today.mims.com

1 Dec 2016 - General

I think we need to go back to the ICE model for this. Ideas, concerns and expectations of the patients. When the expectations of the patients are not met, the patients might not be satisfied and they might not visit the physician again. In Singapore,...
 (Total 104 words)
Well said Jemelyn Mae Sodusta . Pharmacist is one of key personnel in healthcare system to educate patient and to remind even doctor also in any drug related issues. As you said in and out...
 (Total 58 words)
I guess this kind of situation is really happening outside hospital facility. I believe general practitioners did explain that antibiotics should be taken with strict compliance. However, some may misunderstood due to their lack of knowledge with reg...
 (Total 90 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Your father is remarkable in being an advocate of rational antibiotic use. Patients often think that one medicine is the necessary treatment and will only be convinced if the...
 (Total 75 words)
Habiba Twakkol Antibiotics required when ever our body cannot defend by its immunity and in sime cases for a preventive medicine. It should be keep in mind about the adverse events with the...
 (Total 49 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Patients expecting a powerful medicine as their current using medicine is not satisfactory as you said. When I was in my Clinic and Pharmacy many of village patients asking f...
 (Total 103 words)
Madhubabu kaaja thank you for sharing this article to be discussed, antibiotics are not the best medications in all cases, they have very bad side effects like diarrhea and they affect the i...
 (Total 59 words)
This is a problem that persists for all doctors in the world. Patients feel that they need to be prescribed something in order to feel well and antibiotics is one of the most requested cure. As doctors, we have to explain thoroughly that viral illnes...
 (Total 83 words)
Tahira Nawaz Dr Sam Wong, a general practitioner told that they usually do not prescribe antibiotics on the first visit and It's quite common for most of his patients who have viral in...
 (Total 84 words)
A latest research is carried out in Singapore about the use of antibiotics and expectation of patients about the antibiotics prescription from the general physician. The results of research were as expected, over two-thirds of the patients don’t know...
 (Total 67 words)
Based on findings from the study, a third of patients expect a prescription of antibiotics by their GPs for treatment of common ailments. If antibiotics were not given to them, half of these patients requested for the medication or seek a different d...
 (Total 51 words)