General
Self- and peer-practice: A controversial way medical students learn procedures

Self- and peer-practice: A controversial way medical students learn procedures

Shared by:

Medical students have to perfect complex new skills in short amounts of time. But unlike other skills, there is little room for troubleshooting and none for mistakes, leading some students to practice on themselves to increase experience.

today.mims.com

2 Dec 2016 - General

Shunjie Chua Shunjie Chua Yes Doctor, we are only volunteers during our academics because it is for academic purpose only we ...
 (Total 48 words)
For most of the healthcare professionals, patients are all we are here for. As others have stated, simulators are good, but they are not real substitute for patient/human experience. I believe that peers are a necessary evil for the progression of sk...
 (Total 68 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta good to see you as you learnt basics and sometimes it is not possible to practice all in our lab. But now you are an expert in all clinical procedures. Thanking you for ...
 (Total 38 words)
Ohh. Such a good topic to share our experiences on how we got our training. Way back in college, we have our 'revalida' where we are we are performing a procedures using dummies. Those procedures was NGT insertion, foley catheter insertion, b...
 (Total 87 words)
Marinelle Castro Heena Pohani thanking you for sharing your practical experiments in this topic. I was also checked my own Haemo...
 (Total 68 words)
I still remember when I learnt the method of doing the blood test by pricking one's own finger. It hurts but this this is how you learn. Self and peer practice is a part of the curriculum of the medical students. Although cadavers and stimulators...
 (Total 91 words)
In our institution, we have a center that is dedicated for workshops and training. I have had several experience with simulators. First when I was a general surgery resident, we use a simulator for laparoscopic surgery to train our depth perception a...
 (Total 61 words)