General
Self- and peer-practice: A controversial way medical students learn procedures

Self- and peer-practice: A controversial way medical students learn procedures

Shared by:

Medical students have to perfect complex new skills in short amounts of time. But unlike other skills, there is little room for troubleshooting and none for mistakes, leading some students to practice on themselves to increase experience.

today.mims.com

2 Dec 2016 - General

Ohh. Such a good topic to share our experiences on how we got our training. Way back in college, we have our 'revalida' where we are we are performing a procedures using dummies. Those procedures was NGT insertion, foley catheter insertion, bed bath, OTF feeding, etc. Oh! i remember we even performed bed making. I am actually grateful that our alma mater made us perform those procedures individually. Through it, we learned it by heart. That it is really significant to know every procedur...
 (Total 87 words)
Marinelle Castro Heena Pohani thanking you for sharing your practical experiments in this topic. I was also checked my own Haemoglobin, Bleeding time, Clotting time in our Hospital pharmacy lab. We used to measure drug pharmacokinetics by urine analysis and salivary excretion analysis. I have also self studied effect of cool drink...
 (Total 68 words)
I still remember when I learnt the method of doing the blood test by pricking one's own finger. It hurts but this this is how you learn. Self and peer practice is a part of the curriculum of the medical students. Although cadavers and stimulators are available in the market, they have their limitation. When it comes to dentistry and RCT, one has to practice it on the extracted human teeth and then in patients. There are still no computerised solutions for this and many such medical procedure...
 (Total 91 words)