General
Doctors: How to end a professional relationship with a patient

Doctors: How to end a professional relationship with a patient

Shared by:

The decision to end a doctor-patient relationship is no small matter. However, if doctors find themselves left with no choice but to terminate the relationship, here is a guide on how to get through this.

today.mims.com

8 Dec 2016 - General

I think everyone agrees in the community that a direct conversation is the best way to end a patient-doctor relationship. This goes both ways as patients should also notify doctors that they are switching to another physician. Well, that is the case in the ideal setting as to allow endorsement from the current to the future attending physician. I agree that no one will benefit if there is no harmony between a doctor and his/her patient. The most important thing is to exhibit professionalism once...
 (Total 91 words)
It is actually true that some significant others are really aggressive on expressing their feeling and behaviour towards attending physician. I actually had seen the same scenario like Dc. Marinelle Castro shared. The doctor manage that situation calmly by directly encouraging patients to go ahead and seek ongoing care from other doctors in the practice. As long as both parties are clear about this, termination ...
 (Total 76 words)
I agree that there is no other way to end a therapeutic relationship than to communicate it directly. I remember accompanying one of my consultants for pre-operative rounds. The patient has been admitted for a few days for pre-operative preparation, and they seem to have doubts about the recommendation of the consultant. During that visit, the patient and his family are becoming verbally aggressive, so my consultant directly said that its best for them to seek consultation from another physician...
 (Total 80 words)
It is never expected that an end between doctor and patient professional relationship and sometimes not an easy way to maintain professional relationship with all type of patients. If doctor feels to stop or patient want to stop or it may with both mutual understanding. Author well written the content in an easy and descriptive manner. Documenting is very crucial to note down and signing whenever necessary by both parties. This document can be useful to produce in future to anybody who needs an...
 (Total 89 words)
It is sometimes unavoidable that there are issues in the workplace. One of it would be violence in the workplace, harrassement, violence verbally and other more. It is good to end a doctors relationship with their clients in a calm and right way if it does not make them any comfort anymore. Speaking to them directly regarding the situation that it is better to seek others services would be a better option. The article states different approaches on how to manage certain types of patients on how ...
 (Total 113 words)