General
Is medical research chasing its tail by relying too much on mouse models?

Is medical research chasing its tail by relying too much on mouse models?

Shared by:

Do mouse models, the backbone of medical research, properly predict human diseases? The evidence suggests this is less true than previously thought.

today.mims.com

8 Dec 2016 - General

Mice have a high homology with humans which is why they are used as test subjects. It is difficult to use humans as tests subjects as there is a lot of ethical and moral implications in doing so (as Marinelle Castro also mentioned). Mice are easy to care for and they reproduce quickly which all in all makes their use in research quite cost efficient as well. I see where the article is going though but I don't...
 (Total 89 words)
Of course drug research on neurological diseases mostly rely on animals because outright drug testing on humans brings about ethical issues. I understand that this issue is significant because of the problems in translational research. However, it is better to follow the standard phases of doing a clinical trial, which primarily involves the use of animals in its early phases. It takes a longer time to produce results that are applicable to practice, but it is safer route to avoid unethical huma...
 (Total 83 words)