General

Post-duty Dilemma

Created by:

10 Dec 2016 - General

photo from Boldomatic

Healthcare professionals go through a rigorous schedule. There are duties where the work piles up so much that one cannot afford to sit or eat. After duties like this, we opt to quickly go home. Being home presents the real dilemma- to eat or to sleep. Every person has a different priority after duty. Personally, I would choose to eat then rest a little before sleeping. My reason is that I need to replenish the lost macronutrients since sleeping puts me in a fasted state again. Then, I get to sleep after about 30 minutes and this works perfect for me. I wonder about others in the MIMS community. I would love to hear which between sleeping and eating do you prioritize after a long duty. 

Jennifer Winter Finally! Someone has chosen sleeping over eating. Thank you for the refreshing take on the topic. There is no harm with choosing sleep especially when the eyelids are all dr...
 (Total 67 words)
Afaque Ali I agree. Refueling the nutritional building blocks first prior to sleeping is the most logical way to facilitate one's recovery after a very tiring day at work. As you have ...
 (Total 48 words)
Marinelle Castro It really is difficult not to eat after a tiring duty. Eating sensibly is still the key to maintain adequate nutrition and waistline at the same time. Thank you for stressi...
 (Total 44 words)
Like Kathleen Peralta I don't skip meals but I highly prioritize sleep because I get uber cranky when I lack sleep haha. Of course like everyone else I would eat before sleeping but if ...
 (Total 79 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I agree that this is a classic dilemma because it has been recommended not to sleep right after taking a meal. On a practical side, most of us would prefer to eat, and I agr...
 (Total 80 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Thank you for pointing out that proper nutrition and sleep are both essential to recuperate from a tiring shift. Eating should ideally not be bypassed in favor of sl...
 (Total 49 words)
Kathleen Peralta Haha. That is true. More people will opt to eat if food is prepared. :)) You are lucky that food is prepared when you come home after shift. I am also lucky that my wife pr...
 (Total 62 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan It is really a struggle to find something nutritious yet quick to prepare after a duty. As Tahira Nawaz me...
 (Total 62 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta I agree that waking up in the middle of sleep is annoying. It would really be better to nourish the body with food and drink plenty of water as the nutrients are necessa...
 (Total 52 words)
Shunjie Chua Oh yes. Most of us tend to eat in groups after work before heading home. Thank you for pointing out the tendency to overeat after a long duty. The rewarding feeling of consum...
 (Total 73 words)
Tahira Nawaz That sounds like a good idea to consume fruits after a stressful duty since it is readily available. Our tendency is to grab quick bites when tired and consuming fruits make su...
 (Total 48 words)
I believe one needs both food and sleep after a hectic day. It is difficult to say which is the most important to our health. Eating is what takes the least time, so we can minimize the time it takes to eat by having a quick dinner and then spend the...
 (Total 59 words)
I have never skipped meals now that I am a mom. So, the answer is "eat" if there was food prepared after a shift. Haha. Kidding aside, normally there is food on the table after my 12 hour day shift and I don't have to cook so that saves...
 (Total 59 words)
I would choose to eat first before sleeping of course! But there are times right after my tiring shift I get to choose to sleep rather than eating. I just can't help myself out! So basically it depends on your body and mood. Good for those who ar...
 (Total 76 words)
Usually, when my duty shift ends i prefer eating my meal first before sleeping. Most especially when i came from my night duty shift. I simply don't want to disturb my deep sleep because of the sound coming from my stomach. That is the only time ...
 (Total 60 words)
I think that this topic is a really tough to tackle and is essentially one without a right answer. I guess for social reasons, it would better to have food as that would be most would have food. So it would be a good time to have a bit of social inte...
 (Total 77 words)
I also prefer eating because I cannot sleep hungry. I try to eat some fruits especially apple or banana and nuts because such foods are easy to eat and provide prompt energy that aids in profound sleeping. A cup of coffee or green tea is also sometim...
 (Total 58 words)