General
Should healthcare professionals have romantic relationships with patients?

Should healthcare professionals have romantic relationships with patients?

Shared by:

Being required to interact, and sometimes, to come into contact with their patients, there is always a possibility, albeit a small one, that healthcare professionals could end up getting involved with them.

today.mims.com

11 Dec 2016 - General

Interesting how in the UK they have social media presence training. There was a topic on this during our annual convention but unfortunately I was not able to attend it. Yes I agree that doctors should not have intimate relationships with their patient or with the patient's family because for one thing clouding in judgement will be present. This is similar to the idea of treating friends or family because objectivity tends to be lost. The author mentioned that doctors are only humans so a re...
 (Total 101 words)
This is an interesting topic for all healthcare professionals. We can't deny the fact that love is something or anything that can happen with out our control. However, in my opinion when the patient is inside your institutions premises, we should maintain professionalism. We should maintain that professional gap between our patients. So far, I don't know anyone who had a romantic relatioship with patients. But between my colleagues and other healthcare professionals I encountered too man...
 (Total 89 words)
This seem to be very interesting in every healthcare professional. We can never blame them not to avoid to fall for someone most especially in the same field and workplace. As HCPs we are responsible to maintain professionalism and trust within the healthcare team. For some instances if the borders will be crossed, trust between nurses-doctors and/or other healthcare team will be compromised. As much as we can, we need to avoid having such relationship. However as long as we are not violating an...
 (Total 90 words)
I agree that health care professionals should not engage in any romantic relationships with their patients or their families. Although I know of a doctor who married the sibling of his previous patient. The patient was under his care for a few days because of an uncomplicated surgery. He started dating the sibling of the patient a few months after the therapeutic relationship has ended. I don't think that there's anything wrong with that, not unless if the patient is still under his care...
 (Total 84 words)
There is a very strict ethical code for doctor patient relationship around the globe. Romantic relationships between patients and their health professionals are not forbidden although it is not recommended. If a patient and HCP are about to go dating or be in a relationship, they cannot be described any longer as a patient and HCP. Accordingly, This HCP will be proven unfit to take medical and professional care of this patient. Healthcare professionals bear the full responsibility to establish a...
 (Total 90 words)