General

Neighbourhood Health Screening Reflections

Created by:

12 Dec 2016 - General

Reflections on Neighbourhood Health Screening

A student of mine participated in Neighbourhood Health Screening 2016 and shared with me some important takeaways:

-The doctors tasked to carry out house visits (to residents who required Follow-up) were unable to prescribe medication to patients in need of them. Only a referral letter could be given to the person-in-need, but if the individual were to be unable to leave his home, the referral letter would be deemed not useful.
A solution to this would be to request for General Practitioners whose clinics are in the vicinity to pay the residents a visit if possible. Home visits like such may however be costly for the patient.

- Residents felt that to visit the General Practitioner is rather costly, especially if they have to collect medication for hyperlipidemia on a routine basis. Residents could consider visiting the polyclinic, or use their CHAS cards at the GP clinic or polyclinic for subsidies.

- Some residents did not feel the urgency to see a doctor even if they had abnormal phlebotomy readings. They felt that visiting the doctor would only be necessary if they were "very sick". Health belief models should be applied to persuade these patients to get regular checkups and have followups for the irregular blood tests.

Chih Chiang Nieh I usually explain the possible sequalae of common diseases seen in the community, such as hypertension and diabetes. I always give tell them that stroke and heart attack h...
 (Total 65 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thank you for your insightful comment. Your point on some patients beliefs in letting time heal their condition is very true. I fully agree with your point on how educatio...
 (Total 96 words)
Marinelle Castro Yes, I fully agree with you. Persuading these individuals to see a doctor is really an uphill battles at times. Understandably, some of these individuals hold on to archaic...
 (Total 83 words)
The last item that you mentioned in your reflection is common even in our locality. It's understandable that patients are not aware of the gravity of abnormal laboratory findings. However, I think that efforts should be made to inform people that...
 (Total 55 words)
These are very revealing findings and very good efforts in this survey. There is a real cultural problem in some localities where people undervalue any abnormalities and choose to let time heal things instead trying to seek help and solve the problem...
 (Total 72 words)