General

The Role of a Doctor in Reporting Domestic Abuse Cases

Created by:

13 Dec 2016 - General

⁠⁠⁠I recently read a biography written by Subhas Anandan, "The Best I Could". Subhas Anandan is a great criminal defence lawyer in Singapore, and in his biography, he writes about the criminal cases that he has fought for. Of one of the cases, a maid died because of physical abuse by her owner. Her stomach was ruptured and she suffered from peritonitis due to a blow to her abdomen. The maid was observed to have suffered from severe bruising and lost more than 1/3 of her weight since she came to Singapore. Since domestic helpers are given half yearly routine medical checkups, it was a surprise to Subhas that no doctor noticed that she had been abused. What is your view on this issue?

Doctors should always look at unusual presentations with a suspicious eye. I recently had a patient coming with a black eye, and she said she fell on the floor. It was obvious that a fall wouldn't have caused her injuries, so after spending some ...
 (Total 60 words)
It's a sad but true situation. Domestic helpers should get the equal rights in terms of health services. The topic raised by the lawyer in this article is an eye-opener. I believe definitely doctors should be able to diagnose the cases of abuse. ...
 (Total 72 words)