General
12 “health habits” that won’t make you healthier

12 “health habits” that won’t make you healthier

Shared by:

Do generous layers of sunscreen, expensive shampoos and rigorous workouts keep you healthier in any way? Or does making your bed every morning keep the mites away? Now is the time to start rethinking these habits.

today.mims.com

20 Dec 2016 - General

Thank you for tagging me along Marinelle Castro . You are right that dynamic exercises are the ones we need before exercising. Some examples are jumping jacks, marching in place, butt kicks, and high knees. This prepares the muscles for movements that demand great force such as sprinting. Performing conventional static stretches before exercise is already obsolete as it increases the risk of injury because the mu...
 (Total 82 words)
About monitoring blood pressure, I don't think that this is a myth at all. If you have personal risk factors, it is in fact advisable to monitor one's blood pressure for surveillance. In addition, regarding stretching, I'd like to get the opinion of Mark Edmon Tan regarding this issue. As far as I know, before workouts, dynamic stretches help in preventing injury because it warms up the muscle. Stati...
 (Total 82 words)
I agree with most of the above. On monitoring blood pressure, that is an interesting thought. For health screenings, the benchmark is usually 140/90, which astonished some of my students who followed the value of 120/80 judiciously. Catching up on sleep is never a good idea as well, and I personally disagree with having long naps (2 hours or more). For sleeping on a hard matress, that is an interesting thought. Some people in Korea sleep on marble beds so as to alter their posture for the better...
 (Total 94 words)