General
The gap between patient experiences and good healthcare

The gap between patient experiences and good healthcare

Shared by:

One of the challenges faced by clinicians lies in the faults placed on them when patients are dissatisfied with their experiences in healthcare, but do patients’ experiences link to the quality of healthcare?

today.mims.com

21 Dec 2016 - General

unpleasant hospital experience can be even harmful for the patients. It can even impair the willingness to seek medical help. I just have this type of experience in my family. My mother had gotten cancer. However she insisted not going to the hospita...
 (Total 170 words)
This is a common problem in dentistry also. Patient experiences and reviews should always be taken seriously and as discussed in article, a shared decision about the treatment is the best. The best thing is to communicate effectively with the patient...
 (Total 79 words)
I agree that shared decision making is the best way to reconcile dissatisfaction of patients and a clinician's responsibilities. I remember an inpatient who was using weak opioids prn for about 5 consecutive days. The consultant and I decided to...
 (Total 110 words)
If a feedback is constructive and not unreasonable, then it may really help the healthcare team to move forward. Like, the article said, we must be aware if the patient complaints are backed up with clinical reasons for it or not. Sometimes feedback ...
 (Total 71 words)
In my opinion, Good or positive feedback isn’t the best way to encourage or improve the persons' skills and negative feedback isn’t actually all that bad. As long as the feedback is specific or straight to the point, this will encourage the perso...
 (Total 87 words)
In my views, it is very important to meet the patient’s expectations in order to enhance the number of patients to visit your hospital or clinic. Unpleasant experiences are either due to misbehavior of staff or lack of staff and doctor’s attitude tow...
 (Total 57 words)
For most patients, a bad hospital experience results from poor communication and the lack of compassion. Patients attribute their unpleasant hospital experiences and negative impression of healthcare services to the deficit in bedside manners as well...
 (Total 50 words)