General
Empathy is an overrated skill when dispensing medical care – Karin Jongsma & Verena Klar | Aeon Ideas

Empathy is an overrated skill when dispensing medical care – Karin Jongsma & Verena Klar | Aeon Ideas

Shared by:

Over the past few decades, empathy – the ability to take on the perspective, or ‘feel’ the emotions, of another person – has been touted as a key clinical skill, and a cornerstone of the doctor-patient relationship. Communication with and trust in...

aeon.co

24 Dec 2016 - General

Afaque Ali
As a healthcare professional dealing with the humans who are the most completely sensitive creatures, making you taking care of their feelings and deal with them carefully i...
 (Total 57 words)
Precisely Kathleen Peralta. Physicians should be trained to critically reflect upon their empathy gaps rather than be told to fake it. Empathy is the capacity to step into other people'...
 (Total 71 words)
You don't have to fake it, to make it. Like any other characterisrics, being empathetic isn't taught, it should normally come out naturallt as healthcare professionals when dealing with patients. It isn't easy as we wouldn't fully hav...
 (Total 62 words)
Expressing empathy is essential among healthcare professionals who encounter patients and their families. I don't think that it is over-rated, and I also don't agree with faking it. Stress and exhaustion from work doesn't last long, so it...
 (Total 74 words)